Beam + two 1s or a Playbar?

• 8 August 2019
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Hi all,

I’m setting up a new office/workshop. No TV - music only.

I need to wall-mount a system in a particularly narrow spot height-wise, which doesn’t allow for Play 5s or larger speakers. Therefore, for something to fit into a long, thin space I guess my choices are either a Playbar, two 1s on their own, or two 1s with a Beam added.

I cannot use a sub.

I already have two locations where I have two 1s on their own - they sound very good. Thumbs up. My two questions are as follows:

1. Will adding a Beam to two 1s in a purely stereo set-up notably improve the sound?
  2. Will a Beam and two 1s sound better, roughly the same, or worse than a Playbar?
I feel a shade reluctant to go for a Playbar as it seems like an outgoing product, but I’m not too worried about that.

Thanks in advance community for your input :-)

1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge +5
I would not think that setup would be worth it to be honest, IMHO the 1’s will sound better than a beam for pure music as you can get a wider soundstage.

Playbar offers a wider soundstage, but the 2 ones would still be my preference for this set up.

If you really want a beam or Playbar in the front then I would look to move the 1s to behind your desk to give a more immersive soundstage as part of a surround set up.

keeping all speakers in front and grouped may give you some extra volume, but can’t see it sounding better than just the 2 1’s to be honest.