• 18 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
Hey.

My setup today:
Kitchen: two stereo paired Play 1
Living room: Beam
Daugthers room: Play 1

My question is. We often listen at low volumes, but I really need more bass in the living room. But I think the Sub is expensive “just” to get more bass.
Is the SUB worth it, when we for the most of the time only listen to low volumed music and television. Do you got the Beam and SUB, and what is your opinion about the sound at low volume, or is it first when you crank it up, that you feel the bass. Can you even feel the bass in your body?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi ThomasDK

I don't own a Beam but I can say from experience as I have a Playbar with sub and Play 5 x 2 in stereo pair with sub; IMO it's worth it. If you want more low-in you really have no other option than to get a Sonos Sub to bond with your Beam. If you want to feel the low-end at low volume level you can adjust the subs level in the app to play louder than normal. However, if you use TruePlay tuning the low-end should be good at any level. Also sub placement is better in a corner or behind a sofa on a wall for really good effect. There are some who place the sub under their sofa to act as a pseudo "rumble" maker. Hope this helps!

Cheers!
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
Hey.

My setup today:

My question is. We often listen at low volumes, but I really need more bass in the living room. But I think the Sub is expensive “just” to get more bass.
Is the SUB worth it, when we for the most of the time only listen to low volumed music and television. Do you got the Beam and SUB, and what is your opinion about the sound at low volume, or is it first when you crank it up, that you feel the bass. Can you even feel the bass in your body?

I bought a sub to pair with a playbar in my living room. It is crazy expensive. But It does a good job of delivering the bass.

Ive moved it to the basement where it sees little use because even on night mode and low volume I've found it too much (have two young kids, sub shakes the house, also toddler puts toys in it, afraid something will get stuck). I constantly turn the system up to better hear dialogue, then try to turn it down in action scenes. Distracting constantly fiddling with the volume.

My partner would probably say not worth it, but I like it. Only regret is not using it more often.

Sonos needs to offer a smaller sub to pair with the beam IMO.
In general, for music listening at low volumes, the Sub does a lot to keep the music remaining rich sounding. I am not sure whether it is just as useful at low volumes for movies, where the Sub is used for the effects channel.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Since I wrote this question, I have been in the store to listen to it. They only got it paired with the playbar. It was clear how the music opens up, and that was in a big warehouse. Im now certain of getting the sub. Im sure it would make a bigger improvement in my livingroom ??

About the placement. My only option is to place it besides my couch, there is no place for it near the TV.
Userlevel 1
Badge
My plan was to place it right next too the couch. Would that not be an ok idea?
It should be ok for movies, but for music I have found that too far away from the main music speaker does not allow for good integration of the music sound between the speaker and the Sub.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Hmm okay. I may try some different placements when I buy it. As you can see it is not the biggest livingroom, so im sure that the sub would make the couch rock ?
It would make the couch rock for sure, but for music you want to not feel that it is coming from two different places. Can't you put in in front of the TV on the floor, right next to the cabinet? You will need to get a white Sub in that case.
Userlevel 1
Badge
We are not using the door next to the cabinet. It is also locked. So maybe it could stand in front of the door. The sound should only come from one place, but I actually thought you couldn’t hear where the bass was coming from. I tryed my two play 1’s from the kitchen, as rear channels. But that only confirmed that im not a fan of surround sound for music. So it would be sad, if I could hear that the bass was coming from the couch.
Userlevel 1
Badge
But I think my girlfriend would love it to be hidden away, next to the couch.
In theory, sound below 80hz is difficult to locate for where it is coming from. Where the Sub is concerned, with my play 1 units, the cross over is set at about 95hz and as the frequencies rise, locating the source becomes more possible. For movies, the effects channel usually goes down a lot more than 80hz; and effects usually don't need to be integrated with the rest of the soundtrack in the way music play has to be integrated.

But perhaps you may find it is ok for music as well, in your place.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I can always try. And is it not working, then it have to stand in front of the door. Whatever she likes it, or not ?

Thanks alot for your help.
If there is anyone with the beam and sub, i would still like to hear about your thoughts about the beam with, and without the sub.
Userlevel 7
Here’s an option you might try....

Glad you decided to get the sub. It appears you have enough clearance under the cabinet on which your TV is above. You might consider laying the sub flat under it. The vibrations would Travel across your hardwood floor as it appears your space is not on a concrete subfloor. The downside would be your neighbors below you might be annoyed and/or you and your girlfriend may not like the view.

Cheers!
Userlevel 1
Badge
The sub can be under the cabinet. But my girlfriend wouldn’t like the view of it. But she actually love the design of the sub, so she don’t mind that it is visible ?? I think our only options is to place it in front of the door, or besides the couch.
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
The sub can be under the cabinet. But my girlfriend wouldn’t like the view of it. But she actually love the design of the sub, so she don’t mind that it is visible ?? I think our only options is to place it in front of the door, or besides the couch.
Hi Thomas, did you manage to buy the sub and how are you finding it? I am planning to get one to pair with beam and play3s but not sure if it will be too loud at night as I watch TV with low volume, thanks
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
Hey.

My setup today:

I bought a sub to pair with a playbar in my living room. It is crazy expensive. But It does a good job of delivering the bass.

Ive moved it to the basement where it sees little use because even on night mode and low volume I've found it too much (have two young kids, sub shakes the house, also toddler puts toys in it, afraid something will get stuck). I constantly turn the system up to better hear dialogue, then try to turn it down in action scenes. Distracting constantly fiddling with the volume.

My partner would probably say not worth it, but I like it. Only regret is not using it more often.

Sonos needs to offer a smaller sub to pair with the beam IMO.

It's a shame you are not able to use it often. Do you think the loudness is beacuse it is paired with the playbar? I need to watch at low volume at night so not to disturb kid and wife, any suggestion is welcome, trying to pair it with Sonos beam. Good point with toddler putting toys in, might have the same issue 🙂
Userlevel 1
Badge
Sorry for not getting back earlier. The subwoofer is now besind the sofa. And after some trueplay and fine tuning in EQ and sub setting its just perfect!! The sound is so much richer and it was every worth every danish crone! In Denmark the Sub costs 5.999 danish crones. Converted to USD thats 908,55USD ??
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
Sorry for not getting back earlier. The subwoofer is now besind the sofa. And after some trueplay and fine tuning in EQ and sub setting its just perfect!! The sound is so much richer and it was every worth every danish crone! In Denmark the Sub costs 5.999 danish crones. Converted to USD thats 908,55USD ??
Glad you are liking it, plan to buy in December this year 😃 , saw it on sale here in Australia for 845AU$ (597 US $)