Question

Beam + Play 5 surrounds ...vs... Beam + Play 1 surrounds + SUB

• 12 July 2020
  • 3 replies

Have been googling and haven't found much on these two setups for a lounge room that is 4m x 8m.We would be using for 70% music 30% movies.

Q1. Would the play 5's offer enough bass when playing music that it would render a sub obselete??
Q2. Are the mids and highs that much better with the 5's over the 1's?
Q3. Could you then use just the Play 5's and mute the beam when playing music?
Q4. How would a Playbase and Play 1 surrounds compare without the sub?

Thanks heaps for helping me out, everyone has been so friendly and helpful here :)

3 replies

1. Yes / No. There isn’t  any easy consensus on this, it’s really up to your own ears and music you listen to.
  2. Again, entirely up to your personal circumstances. Find a local retailer, and listen to both yourself. 
  3. No, not easily. The Sonos software doesn’t have that as an easy setting, it would require some work each and every time. And I suspect you would prefer it the other way around, muting the Beam, and listening to the PLAY:5s (Sonos Fives, now), also not easily done. 
  1. Yes / No. There isn’t  any easy consensus on this, it’s really up to your own ears and music you listen to.
  2. Again, entirely up to your personal circumstances. Find a local retailer, and listen to both yourself. 
  3. No, not easily. The Sonos software doesn’t have that as an easy setting, it would require some work each and every time. And I suspect you would prefer it the other way around, muting the Beam, and listening to the PLAY:5s (Sonos Fives, now), also not easily done. 

Thanks Bruce! 

How about a Playbase and Play 1 surrounds without the sub? Is this a recommended setup?

All Sonos setups are recommended ;)

I lived for a year or more without a Sub connected to my PLAYBAR, and it was great. Eventually I found the money for the Sub, and it was spectacular. The PLAYBASE, although no longer in production, has a built in, albeit small, sub speaker. Given the limits of physics, it does pretty well, but at the end of the day, no four inch subwoofer can match the full size one.