Beam or Play 5 with LG TV

• 24 August 2018
  • 2 replies

Hi .. Im a very new to Sonos and this is gonna be my first Sonos speaker.
By goin thru other threads I understand now play 5 gives a better sound clarity than the beam. But however want to know whether play 5 gen 2 will give a better or same sound quality when connected with audio out aux on tv.
I really like the play 5 sound clarity and just trying to understand will it not dissapoint me when connected to tv.

Or is it better to get the beam and connect with the tv optical digital audio out. The sound will be better and can customize thru the app for good base ?

Kindly advise. Thanks.

Oh and I want this to my living room. This is a mini size 1 bed room apartment.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1
The beam or the playbar is your only choice when it comes to tvsound, Play5 doesnt allow you to connect it with the tv in an easy way. In short terms.
The PLAY:5 (either gen 1 or gen 2) requires an analog input, which by definition in the Sonos ecosystem implies at least a 70ms delay, for the system to 1) encode to digital and 2) buffer for synchronous play across the 2.4Ghz band Sonos uses.

The Beam (and the PLAYBAR and PLAYBASE), because of the digital (optical or HDMI) connection, don't pay the same penalty, unless you're then syncing with another Sonos "room". They use a much lower latency 5Ghz signal to communicate with "surround" speakers, but still use the 2.4Ghz channel to communicate with other rooms. So, you don't pay that extra penalty for buffering unless you're grouping it with other "rooms".