Answered

Beam and Airplay 2

• 3 March 2019
  • 2 replies

Hi all,

I'm pretty new to Sonos (borrowed and returned a pair of Play 1's) and I've been thinking about getting a Beam which will eventually become part of a surround sound set up with a Macbook/PC, an amp/hub out to a couple of Play 1's and a projector. In the meantime I want to play tunes from Spotify using e.g. the Sonos app and audio from movies (e.g. on Youtube from an iPhone, or iTunes using a Macbook Pro) using Airplay 2.

Does anyone know if you can use Airplay 2 to play the audio from videos without there being a Smart TV or Apple TV or similar in the mix etc? E.g.;
1. Can I watch a video on youtube via Safari on my phone and hear the sound from the Beam?
2. Can I watch a movie or TV via iTunes, iDVD, Safari, or VLC etc on a Macbook and get the audio out of the beam (ideally in stereo) in sync with the images?

Essentially, can you use Airplay 2 to treat the Beam as a Bluetooth speaker?

Apologies if this has been asked before, I've not been able to find a clear answer anywhere. Any help appreciated.
icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 3 March 2019, 23:42

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Thanks for the clarifications AjTrek1!
Userlevel 7
Hi Jrber

1. Can I watch a video on youtube via Safari on my phone and hear the sound from the Beam?

Yes

2. Can I watch a movie or TV via iTunes, iDVD, Safari, or VLC etc on a Macbook and get the audio out of the beam (ideally in stereo) in sync with the image

Yes to iTunes via iPhone
Yes to iTunes and Movies via Macbook
Can't speak to iDVD or VLC

You can adjust lip-sync in Sonos Menu if necessary.