Beam + ??

• 17 January 2019
  • 8 replies

Hi, I have just bought a Beam which has replaced my 2.1 wired speaker set-up (wires didn't look good for my new place).

I am wondering whether I should get the Sub next or two Ones next?

It is generally used for regular TV, listening to music and Netflix. Pretty rare that we watch movies.

Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

I would first buy the sub. I just install it, it goes very well. The ones will be great for surround movies effects but the sub either. As you said you do not watch movies a lot so go for the sub.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
The Beam + Sub combo works very well indeed, I have this setup and thoroughly impressed with it and havn't seen anyone complain about it yet
Thanks guys, I'll bite the next time they are on discount here.
Userlevel 7
Hi ryanratilal

Get the sub.:8 You'll also find that it relieves the Beam of low-end which IMO has the beneficial affect of making dialogue more focused and cleaner in a room larger than an average size bedroom. If you have (or can borrow) an iOS device TruePlay Tuning via the Sonos App really makes for a more enjoyable listening experience.

I don't know what holidays occur in Australia that would warrant a price drop for the sub; but here in the U.S. we might see something of that type in May. Even then the most we can expect is $50 low and $100 high. My point being...is it worth the wait? What you might do is purchase the sub and try it. Then you'll have the choice to (1) keep it or (2) return it and wait for a sale price. My bet is that you'll keep it. ;)

Cheers!

When Sonos Ones are used with the Beam, the Ones voice assistants are turned off. There really is no advantage to using the Ones over Play:1s in your scenario.

As far as to go for sub or surrounds first, I won't disagree with the others, but I do think surrounds adds a lot of value. There is a lot of Netflix content that will come in with surround sound, but more importantly, you can configure the surrounds to play full stereo for music. In my opinion, it adds a lot to music playback, although some do not like this as believe it messes with the 'sound stage'.

If you have to choose between sub and surrounds, I'd opt for the surrounds. However, if the plan is to eventually have both, than get the more expensive sub done first. You really can't go wrong though.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Even then the most we can expect is $50 low and $100 high.

Cheers!

We had some pretty good specials here in Australia from some retailers over the Xmas break so I saved over $300 on the Beam and Sub purchase. Generally in Australia you buy it you own it as we don't often get a try first option anywhere which makes the Sonos offer so good. I doubt many would return the Sub once they plugged it in 🙂
Hi ryanratilal
Even then the most we can expect is $50 low and $100 high. My point being...is it worth the wait?

Cheers!

The big ones for us are Boxing Day, which has just passed where they had it for 20% off. I'll probably wait for a credit card rebate type deal to hopefully push the price down below $800. I suppose I haven't yet heard it with the sub now so I don't know how good it is so I can live with the status quo!

When Sonos Ones are used with the Beam, the Ones voice assistants are turned off. There really is no advantage to using the Ones over Play:1s in your scenario.

Thanks for the tip, I'll go for the sub first, then target the Plays.