Question

Audio Delay/Latency issues

• 3 March 2017
  • 3 replies

Greetings,

Looking to make the conversion to a whole home sonos system. Before I shell out the big bucks I have a question on delay.

The Goal: getting TV audio from Direct TV to lip sync with outdoor speakers (I want to watch my outdoor TV with audio coming over my patio speakers vs the tv's speakers)

I would be purchasing a Connect to broadcast my TV audio from living room receiver to a Connect AMP.
Connect AMP would be approx 25 ft from Connect and then an additional 20' of speaker wire to my outdoor speakers.

Can someone confirm if there is a delay in lip sync as I suspect there will be? I am aware that TV's have video delay features but that is a big risk to take if it doesn't match perfectly. Lip sync is a huge pet peeve of mine when it is milliseconds off.

If there is no solution does anyone have a suggestion to how I accomplish my goal?

One suggestion would possibly be to purchase a playbar and connect to outdoor TV. That won't work for us; the reason for sonos switch is to avoid carrying in/out audio equipment every night. If playbar was weather proof that is another story.

Thanks Everyone

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

There's a delay of ~70ms for any audio via a Sonos Line-In connection, when using the 'Uncompressed' setting. Given your sensitivity to lip-sync this could be a deal breaker.

If all you want is to get TV audio to outside speakers -- without all the other Sonos streaming goodies -- you'd perhaps be better off with a purpose-made low latency audio sender such as Audioengine's.W3, connected to a suitable amplifier.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
You know I line in my Sony Bravia TV to my connect amp which powers a couple Wharfedale Diamonds and do not experience any delay that bothers me at all. I have in the past tried to look closely to see if its something noticeable to be bothered about and I honestly could find nothing. Whereas others have complained of unacceptable delays with similar setups.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
I would suggest buy a PlayBar and try it you can always return it. I love mine and have no issues with delay.

It is not really a "portable speaker" and I would not want to have mine outside as I do not think it is weather proof.

Good luck