Arc w two play ones OR Beam w two play fives

• 31 March 2021
  • 8 replies

Anyone have an opinion on which setup is best for 50-50 use between tv surround and music: 

Arc w two Play Ones and the Sub

Or 

Beam w two Play Fives and the Sub 

Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7

Anyone have thoughts on using the arc as my  primary for music?

The Five is a much better music speaker than the Arc.

Anyone have thoughts on using the arc as my  primary for music?

Just to add to the excellent advice already given, if you are using a 50:50 split between TV and music, you may find One/One SL’s lacking.

I had an Arc, Sub and a pair of One SLs. For surround sound the Ones were more than adequate, but when listening to music, in my opinion, the experience was lacking depth of sound.

I replaced the Ones with Fives (an expensive decision) but I don’t regret it. The whole experience is so much better now when listening to music.

After years of listening to traditional stereo hi-fi music with the speakers in front of me, it has taken a while to adjust to the bulk of the music now coming from behind me, but I have got used to it. 

Not sure in which country you are based, but why not try both options using the Sonos no quibble return policy if available?  

This is pretty similar to my current mindset including use of the no quibble return policy.

Additional info: I already have two gen one play5s so whatever I get will be at the discount. Unfortunately I also already have the beam which I bought a year ago before the arc came out.

I guess it also comes down to whether or not people think the arc is acceptable as primary for music. Thanks everyone for your input as well as any additional or new thoughts 

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Just to add to the excellent advice already given, if you are using a 50:50 split between TV and music, you may find One/One SL’s lacking.

I had an Arc, Sub and a pair of One SLs. For surround sound the Ones were more than adequate, but when listening to music, in my opinion, the experience was lacking depth of sound.

I replaced the Ones with Fives (an expensive decision) but I don’t regret it. The whole experience is so much better now when listening to music.

After years of listening to traditional stereo hi-fi music with the speakers in front of me, it has taken a while to adjust to the bulk of the music now coming from behind me, but I have got used to it. 

Not sure in which country you are based, but why not try both options using the Sonos no quibble return policy if available?  

Userlevel 7

@Base23 If you are getting a new TV, I would go with the Arc/Sub/One SLs for the reasons mentioned above. The Arc will sound much better because it is a larger sound bar with more drivers. Although the two Fives as rears will obviously sound better than the One SLs when playing music.

If you go with the Arc, be sure your new TV is equipped with HDMI eARC.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

There's no Play:1's or Play:5's anymore, just the One (One SL if you do not need microphones) and the Five. 

I think the Beam will be somewhat overwhelmed by the Fives, especially for TV viewing. Since your TV is also quite large, the Arc with the One SL's would be my advice. Take the One SL's because the microphones on surrounds combined with an Arc are not used.

Movies and sports. Netflix, YouTube tv, prime. No external media devices.  

I have a Samsung 65” tv from 2014 (not 4K) but assume with any of your guidance that I’m getting a new tv. Thanks again 

Userlevel 7

What do you primarily watch on your TV? What streaming apps do you use? Do you use any external media devices? What model TV do you have?