Answered

Arc compatibility Samsung JU7100

• 6 June 2020
  • 9 replies

Badge +1

Will this provide full Dolby Atmos from the new ARC?

2015 Samsung JU7100.

Says in Specs it supports:

AUDIO

• Dolby® Digital Plus

• DTS® Studio Sound

• DTS® Premium Sound 5.1TM

And it has a mini connect breakout box for video connections that include:

5.1 Passthrough ARC Dolby Digital Yes

5.1 Passthrough ARC DTS Yes

5.1 Passthrough Optical Dolby Digital Yes

5.1 Passthrough Optical DTS Yes

HDMI 2.0 Full Bandwidth Yes

ARC Yes (HDMI 4)

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 30 December 2020, 20:57

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

It has HDMI ARC, and says it passes Dolby Digital Plus. It should support Atmos.

Badge

I have this TV but cannot get Atmos through ARC port. 

You may need to contact Samsung directly. 

I had to contact Vizio to find out that while the HDMI ports on my 2019 TV could accept Dolby Digital Plus and play it on the TV’s speakers, it was unable to pass that data out on the ARC output. 

Given that the TV in question is from 2015, it wouldn’t surprise me if there was some equally odd issue, but Sonos wouldn’t have the same knowledge about it that Samsung should. 

Userlevel 7

More than likely, your TV is incapable of passing through Dolby Atmos. Just because a TV can pass through Dolby Digital Plus, doesn’t necessarily guarantee that it can also pass through Dolby Atmos.

I recommend the HD Fury Arcana eARC device. I have an old Panasonic Plasma from 2013 and the best I could get to play through the Arc was Dolby Digital 5.1 from native apps. Stereo 2.0 could only be played from external devices. Now with the Arcana, I get full Dolby TrueHD/Dolby Atmos and multichannel PCM audio from all of my Blu-ray discs and Dolby Digital Plus/Dolby Atmos from my streaming apps.

Badge

More than likely, your TV is incapable of passing through Dolby Atmos. Just because a TV can pass through Dolby Digital Plus, doesn’t necessarily guarantee that it can also pass through Dolby Atmos.

I recommend the HD Fury Arcana eARC device. I have an old Panasonic Plasma from 2013 and the best I could get to play through the Arc was Dolby Digital 5.1 from native apps. Stereo 2.0 could only be played from external devices. Now with the Arcana, I get full Dolby TrueHD/Dolby Atmos and multichannel PCM audio from all of my Blu-ray discs and Dolby Digital Plus/Dolby Atmos from my streaming apps.

Agree  I’m getting 5.1 but not Atmos. Contemplating the Arcana but how much more money can I sink into this sound system? Honestly, can you tell the difference between Atmos and 5.1? If I do purchase, I assume I need a splitter or switch to hook up both the cable box and FireTV.

Userlevel 7

If all you do is stream from your Fire TV and watch TV from your cable box, the Arcana may not be worth it. I’m not sure there is a dramatic difference between Dolby Digital 5.1 compared to Dolby Digital Plus/Dolby Atmos when streaming. But I believe there is a VERY dramatic difference between Dolby Digital 5.1 and Dolby TrueHD/Dolby Atmos when watching a Blu-ray. This is the main reason why I purchased the Arcana.

Yes, you will need an HDMI switch to connect multiple devices to the Arcana. I have three connected with this switch and it works great with the Arcana: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D3QD59P/

BTW… which Fire TV do you own? I ask because, depending on which model it is, not all apps support Dolby Atmos on certain Fire TV devices.

Badge

Thanks for that feedback. I don’t recall the last time I watched a DVD. Probably on my PS3 lol. I have Xfinity so watch most through that and the Fire TV 4k stick for Disney plus because my 2015 Samsung TV missed the cut off to support this app, for whatever reason. It does say it supports Atmos, however. Thanks for providing the link to that switch. Believe me it kills me to not have Atmos even though my friends say it’s cool but they’re unsure if they can even tell the difference. 

Badge

How well does the auto-switch function work on the switch? Reading mixed reviews on that. 

Thanks again. 

Userlevel 7

@Ryan888 Sorry, I just saw this. I actually haven’t been able to get the auto switch function to work on my switch. I just have my Harmony remote/hub do the switching instead.