Question

AMP or PORT or both?

• 15 July 2020
  • 7 replies

Hi all, newbee here so apologise if this has been covered but I cant find anything after searching.

I’m trying to find out if I need both the amp and port for what i’m trying to achieve!

I have a turntable (with preamp) and a CD player (without preamp). I’d like to have them connected to my sonos system.

Firstly it looks as though both the amp and port can only have one device connected at a time is that correct?

Then, as my turntable has a preamp, I believe I can connect it direct to a play 5 speaker without the need for the port or amp?

However, when it comes to the CD Player, it seem I will need the amp. Will the amp then need to be plugged into the play 5 meaning my turntable is no longer connected? Meaning i’ll need a port to connect the two up so they are connected at the same time, if indeed the port can have more than one device at the same time?

I think I’m making this sound more complicated that it is!

Thanks

7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

I’ll stand to be corrected but I believe your CD Player’s line out should already be at the correct voltage/output to connect directly to a Play 5 line in socket. Most traditional CD Players output at Line Out level already. The pre-amp in a turntable converts the turntable’s lower output phono signal to line out levels.

So it should be possible to connect either your CD Player or turntable directly to your Play 5.

You could then find a two way switch box to accept the outputs from the turntable and CD Player with a single output to the Play 5 line in socket. And switch between the two depending on which you want to use.

That sounds interesting! Thank you. I’ve ordered the play 5, out of stock at the moment but when I recieve it I’ll give it a go and see if that’s the case, might save me a few hundered quid!

Can you point me in the right direction for a two way switch please?

Thanks very much.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Which country are you in? I'll try and find a link to one I bought a few years ago. It works fine.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

This is the one I got a few years ago to split my Turntable and Bluetooth receiver line outs to provide one input to my Hi-Fi amplifier.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Port-Twin-Phono-RCA-Switch-2-Way-2-Audio-Devices-into-1/362938524688?hash=item5480d26410:g:E1gAAOSwbRFeZU7Z

I’m guessing your CD Player and Turntable will have RCA type connections on them already. But I think you will need a twin RCA to stereo 3.5mm jack lead or converter to link the output from the two way switch to the input socket on the Five. 

Badge

Hi,

I had an identical question a few weeks ago and after some thorough research, this is what I did:

1. I purchased a preamp (Emotiva PT 100) with phono and line inputs, so I could connect my turntable and my CD player.  It also has a top notch USB DAC that will allow you to connect the music library in your phone (e.g. if you have friends over you won’t have to explain how to play music in your system).
  2. I disabled the preamp in my turntable and connected it to the phono input in my preamp.
  3. I used an optical (toslink) cable to connect the CD player to my preamp (you can also use RCA or coaxial digital cables).
  4. I connected the pream to my Sonos Amp.
  5. I strongly encourage you to check out the Emotiva PT 100; after thorough research I found that it really gives you a bang for your buck

Hope this helps!

This is the one I got a few years ago to split my Turntable and Bluetooth receiver line outs to provide one input to my Hi-Fi amplifier.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Port-Twin-Phono-RCA-Switch-2-Way-2-Audio-Devices-into-1/362938524688?hash=item5480d26410:g:E1gAAOSwbRFeZU7Z

I’m guessing your CD Player and Turntable will have RCA type connections on them already. But I think you will need a twin RCA to stereo 3.5mm jack lead or converter to link the output from the two way switch to the input socket on the Five. 

Thanks for the link, will check it out. Got most of my order from Sonos but still waiting for the Play5!

Hi,

I had an identical question a few weeks ago and after some thorough research, this is what I did:

1. I purchased a preamp (Emotiva PT 100) with phono and line inputs, so I could connect my turntable and my CD player.  It also has a top notch USB DAC that will allow you to connect the music library in your phone (e.g. if you have friends over you won’t have to explain how to play music in your system).
  2. I disabled the preamp in my turntable and connected it to the phono input in my preamp.
  3. I used an optical (toslink) cable to connect the CD player to my preamp (you can also use RCA or coaxial digital cables).
  4. I connected the pream to my Sonos Amp.
  5. I strongly encourage you to check out the Emotiva PT 100; after thorough research I found that it really gives you a bang for your buck

Hope this helps!

Hi, interesting! Though you have bought a pre amp and a Sonos Amp? Wouldn’t the Sonos amp negate the need for a pre amp?