Answered

Amp or Port

• 8 November 2021
  • 11 replies

I recently moved house to a place that has speaker in the ceilings throughout the downstairs. They are all wired through to a comms box. Do I need the Port or the Amp to set this up and will it allow me to play different music in each room or will it only allow one song to be played throughout?

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 8 November 2021, 14:36

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

It depends if they are ‘active’ or ‘passive’ - usually they are ‘passive’, in which case you will most likely need the Sonos Amp - Anyhow perhaps see if this link assists you:

https://www.kitchenbathroomradio.co.uk/blogs/general/do-i-need-an-amplifier-for-my-ceiling-speakers

On the question of playing different audio in different rooms, at the same time - the Amp, or Port devices will only play a single selected audio source to its connected speakers, neither can be used to play the audio source in one room and different audio in another - the speakers connected to the device, are all treated as ‘one room’, even if they are located in actual different physical rooms. 

There’s a thread here that you might also find useful using a Multichannel Amplifier and numerous Sonos Ports  - albeit quite an extreme case - but it may give you further ‘food for thought’.

Userlevel 7

Hey @Ken_Griffiths

I like the new avatar. Makes you look important ( as we all know you are) 😁

Hey @Ken_Griffiths

I like the new avatar. Makes you look important ( as we all know you are) 😁

Well, I thought it was time for a change …and ‘dark mode’ colours seemed the way to go, with that now being in the Sonos App …and of course it’s where I got (stole) the idea from.🤷‍♂️

I was a little bored of just plain initials on the gold background (it’s been the same-old, same old for a couple of years now), so I looked for something a bit different, with a slight illusion on the old ‘initials’, which appealed to me.

i just had to mess around with colours/size etc; but ‘yes’ in truth, it stands out a little more than I wanted it to on the site - I think I will have rethink-it and tone it down a bit to fit in with everything else a little better, when I get a bit more time to ‘play’ I will move it into the ‘Light’ to hide it in the crowd… I don’t need it to look important as that’s just asking for trouble.

There you go .. ‘The Old Grey Initial Test’ colours .. hope that doesn’t stand out quite so much now. 

Userlevel 7

@Ken_Griffiths  

I thought your new look looked great! Hopefully, you won’t mind me saying so…but IMO did you wash it just a tad bit too much 🤔 with the total monotone? Maybe keep the background but use a white font? Just my unsolicited opinion. 😊 Besides …Who am I to make suggestions given my COLORFUL avatar. 😊😊😊

@Ken_Griffiths  

I thought your new look looked great! Hopefully, you won’t mind me saying so…but IMO did you wash it just a tad bit too much 🤔 with the total monotone? Maybe keep the background but use a white font? Just my unsolicited opinion. 😊 Besides …Who am I to make suggestions given my COLORFUL avatar. 😊😊😊

The avatar was a ‘bit much’ though wasn’t it ? - truth be said.

I think the idea of attempting a ‘dark mode’ theme was pulling me towards those ‘standout’ colours, when I’m really more a  ‘tweed’ and ‘magnolia’ person anyway.

I will perhaps look at getting a better balance of colours at some other time, further down the line, but at least for now the ‘greys’ will better match my hair instead.

Userlevel 7

@Ken_Griffiths 

Understood 👍

Also my apologies to @Toby B for high-jacking this post to discuss our vanities 😂

Haha don’t worry!! Just to check is there much difference between the gen 1 amp and the latest amp?

Userlevel 7

Hi

I assume you mean Connect: Amp vs Sonos Amp respectively. Click the link and scroll to the FAQ section. There you’ll find your answer 😉

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/amp