Question

Amp for Sonos Connect and Turntable

• 19 June 2019
  • 4 replies

Hi, i have a new turntable Sony and i want to used it with my Sonos Beams and Speakers. I recently bought the Sonos Connect to do that, but now i need an amp to completes the installation...

That's is correct?

What kind of Amp should i buy?

4 replies

I don't think so. The turntable would connect to a pre-amp (or maybe has one built in?), which would connect to the Sonos CONNECT, which would put the data in the Sonos ecosystem, and you could then group any number of Sonos speakers to that device. No further amp needed. Or maybe you meant pre-amp?

Turntables are ancient technology. They put out a signal at a very low level, often referred to as phono level, which is why most home amplifiers have a special place to plug in a turntable on them. Most everything else puts out what is commonly known as a line level output, which is much higher in "volume". So if you have a turntable, in order for the CONNECT to be able to "hear" it, you need to get a pre-amp to boost the signal from the turntable.
I don't think so. The turntable would connect to a pre-amp (or maybe has one built in?), which would connect to the Sonos CONNECT, which would put the data in the Sonos ecosystem, and you could then group any number of Sonos speakers to that device. No further amp needed. Or maybe you meant pre-amp?

Turntables are ancient technology. They put out a signal at a very low level, often referred to as phono level, which is why most home amplifiers have a special place to plug in a turntable on them. Most everything else puts out what is commonly known as a line level output, which is much higher in "volume". So if you have a turntable, in order for the CONNECT to be able to "hear" it, you need to get a pre-amp to boost the signal from the turntable.

Thank Bruce, you know of some cheap pre-amp that you can recommend me
Not offhand, no. There are dozens upon dozens of them out there, take a look at Amazon.

I've gotten away from vinyl...about 20 years ago.
You just have to make sure that the pre amp suits the kind of cartridge the TT has, that come in two types - MC and MM. The MC cartridges output a lower voltage signal than the MM, so the preamp for these needs to have more gain.
Any decent preamp will have its suitability stated in its literature.