Question

Amp for Outdoor System - Connect vs Connect:AMP

• 3 December 2016
  • 4 replies

I have pretty much made up my mind to go with either 2 or 4 Definitive Technology AW 6500 outdoor speakers. The plan is to start with 2 and see how it sounds and then add 2 more if needed. These speakers can handle 200 watts each. The impedance is rated at 4-8 Ohms.

I have read a few people running 2 and some that are even running 4 of these speakers on a single Sonos Connect:AMP. However, it appears this amp is only rated at 55 watts per channel which seems pretty low for speaker that can handle 200 watts. I spoke with Crutchfield and they recommended using the Sonos Connect with a Yamaha R-S700 stereo receiver that provides 100 watts per channel and only 2 of the speakers.

Any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated.

What would your choose for 2 of these speakers?
1. Sonos Connect:AMP
2. Sonos Connect with a separate stereo receiver? If so, what receiver?
3. Sonos Connect with A/V receiver? If so, what receiver?

What would you choose for 4 of these speakers?
1. One Sonos Connect:AMP
2. Two Sonos Connect:AMPs
2. Sonos Connect with a separate stereo receiver or receivers? If so, what receiver?
3. Sonos Connect with A/V receiver or receivers? If so, what receiver?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

The Connect Amp would be the right way to go if you are sure it will never be used with 4 speakers that may see impedance dropping to 4 ohms or less.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Connect:amp. That way don't have to leave Yamaha on all the time.
Deceptive advertising is deceptive. Those speakers are rated for 200W *PEAK*. So they are probably only rated for around 50-60W continuous.

I have a CONNECT:AMP powering an ancient pair of Klipsch SA-2 outdoor speakers, which are rated 85W continuous/340W peak. I have the volume on the CONNECT:AMP at about 40%, by 50% they are too loud for the neighbors...

So what do you think would be better in my situation?
1. Sonos Connect:AMP and 2 speakers ($900)
2. Sonos Connect, Yamaha Yamaha R-S700, and 2 speakers ($1,250)

Price is always a concern but I want to do it right the first time around.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Deceptive advertising is deceptive. Those speakers are rated for 200W *PEAK*. So they are probably only rated for around 50-60W continuous.

I have a CONNECT:AMP powering an ancient pair of Klipsch SA-2 outdoor speakers, which are rated 85W continuous/340W peak. I have the volume on the CONNECT:AMP at about 40%, by 50% they are too loud for the neighbors...