Question

Airplay compatibility question

• 26 September 2020
  • 4 replies

Hi, 

I have two Play:1 speakers and a Boost and am thinking of buying a couple more speakers for my other room but would like to add Airplay functionality. Is it possible to mix and match a couple of Play:5 speakers to enable me to have Airplay in both rooms (separately)? 

Thanks

Chris

4 replies

Since you’d have two different models of speakers, a PLAY:1 and a Five, so you wouldn’t be able to stereo pair them, they’d need to be two separate rooms, grouped together. Entirely possible, just slightly different than what you’re saying. But yes, then each group (physical room) would certainly be able to receive separate AirPlay 2 streams. I’d be cautious about sending them both from an iOS device, depending on the bandwidth involved, it might overwhelm the device’s capabilities and produce stuttering, but there wouldn’t be any reason if you were using two phones it would be an issue, other than of course your local wifi. 

Thanks. By mix and match I was thinking I’d have two speakers in each room: one old and one new. Each room would be an individual group. 

Chris

What do you mean by mix and match? As long as you go have a single AirPlay 2 enabled speaker in your Sonos system, you can send a signal to that speaker, then ‘group’ any other room you have with it. 

However, it doesn’t make the older speakers capable of receiving an AirPlay 2 signal, it just allows you to get the signal in via the one speaker, and then group any other ‘room’ with that speaker. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @MrWheelbarrow.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. I understand that being able to Airplay on all rooms using only one Airplay capable device is a neat feature to have.

Let me share with you the guide about how to Stream AirPlay audio to Sonos to better understand What Sonso devices are airplay capable and how to use Airplay on Sonos Airplay capable device. I would also like to recommend the guide about how to Play music stored on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch since Airplay is one of the alternative ways of playing the music stored on your Apple device on Sonos. You would only need one Airplay capable Sonos device and using the group and ungroup feature on the Sonos app, You can group and ungroup the Airplay capable Sonos device to a Non-Airplay capable Sonos device.

I hope this helps.

Please let us know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,