Answered

Airplay 2 from ATV to SONOS surround set up

• 8 June 2018
  • 7 replies

Hello to everyone,
In order to take advantage of Airplay 2 in my set up I am thinking of using an Apple TV to send sound via Airplay 2 to a Beam Bar with surrounds and sub.
I am using a beamer, that would avoid having a HDMI cable from back to front.
My question is: does using Airplay 2 for movies enables 5.1 with surrounds sound balance when sent to a Beam or Playbase?
icon

Best answer by Smilja 15 July 2018, 16:11

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Badge +2
As stated, AirPlay 2 does not support 5.1. Only stereo and that’s on Apple to fix. If your tv has it, change HDMI out to DD 5.1 and it will send DD 5.1 to your Beam instead of PCM. Of course that depends on your tv make and model.
Badge
So its a protocol limitation on Airplay 2? So we won't see it before Apple support 5.1 in Airplay?
Badge
Thanks for posting this Smilja.
Ryan, any updates on this now that the Beam and Airplay2 is released? I just set up my Beam in a surround set up. Just curious if Airplay2 to the surround set up will give me true 5.1 surround with movies as it seems my TV only outputs stereo from HDMI-ARC.

AirPlay 2 audio is sending stereo, not 5.1 audio. Your Playbase will treat the audio the same way it plays music, so if you have the rears set to "Full" you'll hear the stereo channels played in the front and back at the same time, if it's set to "Ambient" you'll hear an upmixed sort of surround, but it's not the same way we handle normal stereo TV audio. The Playbase doesn't have a way to know what the source of your AirPlay content is, Netflix vs YouTube vs Spotify, so it treats it all as music.

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/airplay2-with-5-1-setup-6809350/index1.html#post16247681
Badge
Ryan, any updates on this now that the Beam and Airplay2 is released? I just set up my Beam in a surround set up. Just curious if Airplay2 to the surround set up will give me true 5.1 surround with movies as it seems my TV only outputs stereo from HDMI-ARC.
Badge
But it would be nice to know if you can play surround with airplay 2. without cable
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Julien, we haven't quite shared all the details on Airplay 2 just yet, so stay tuned for more in the future as Airplay 2 on Sonos becomes available.

Generally speaking, HDMI-ARC is going to give you the best experience because you'll be able to use voice control on the Beam using CEC to do things like turning the TV on and off.