Question

Advice on purchasing due to WIFI?

• 25 December 2016
  • 5 replies

Hi all, okay bit of a complicated one so crack the popcorn out, im currently in university halls and my only source of WIFI is a restricted network and therefore renders my play 3 useless since i want to use spotify. So im thinking of buying a 2nd generation play 5 (for use in the future not just to solve my problem), however do you still need WIFI to set up and use the Line-in functionality on the speaker, also with Line-in can you use youtube or just controller supported music sites?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

You do need to set up on a network before going offline with line in. With a line in then YouTube is a possibility.

Depending on the restrictions, you may be able to use a travel router connected to the university halls wifi. That is the best solution if feasible.
Hi John, so what you're saying is as long as i set the speaker up on a network (my family home) and then take it to my flat i can then use the line-in without the need of any network at all? And perfect thanks for your help
Yes. You also have to set up Autoplay on the speaker before detaching from network.
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1091/kw/line-in%20autoplay
Okay, thanks for your support ill look into this!