Advice for best music setup

• 26 April 2023
  • 13 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi,

which of these is better for just music?

1. Sub mini + Beam Gen2 + 2x Era 100 as surround rear speakers.
  2. Sub mini + Beam Gen2 + 2x Era 300 as surround rear speakers.
  3. 2x Era 300 as stereo pair.
  4. 2x Era 100 as stereo pair.

At the moment I am using number one from the above list and I am happy with the spatial audio but wondering if option 3 would be as good or better or the same?

Also have read that some say 2x Era 100 as a stereo pair is pretty good, but without the spatial audio effect of course.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Personally I think option 3 would be better for music.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thank you, this is what I am thinking too. I only have one Era 300 so am considering getting another one  to set up as a stereo pair. Only problem is then I might be tempted to just use them as rear speakers instead. But music is more important to me and films etc. sound good enough for me with the current setup (Number 1]

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thank you, this is what I am thinking too. I only have one Era 300 so am considering getting another one  to set up as a stereo pair. Only problem is then I might be tempted to just use them as rear speakers instead. But music is more important to me and films etc. sound good enough for me with the current setup (Number 1]

I have mine as surrounds for my Arc.  The music is great but films are fantastic! :)

Userlevel 1
Badge

You mean you have 2x Era 300 or the 100s?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

You mean you have 2x Era 300 or the 100s?

Two Era 300’s

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I’m listening to a stereo pair of ERA 300s bonded with a Sub. Spatial audio from Apple Music sounds great on it. If you don’t want spatial audio then 2 Era 100s would probably be better than either option that involves a Beam.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’m listening to a stereo pair of ERA 300s bonded with a Sub. Spatial audio from Apple Music sounds great on it. If you don’t want spatial audio then 2 Era 100s would probably be better than either option that involves a Beam.

Thanks. I definitely want the spatial audio/Dolby Atmos for music, it’s the only reason I bought an Era 300. I’m not really hearing it though with only one and not sure why. It’s placed in the bedroom and on a chest of drawers with ample space on both sides and above it. I am hoping a stereo pair will be a big improvement.

The two 100s as rear speakers with the Beam 2 work great though and I definitely hear the spatial audio that way.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’ve also read several negative comments saying the Era 300s as rear surrounds are disappointing so I think I will stick with the 100s for the TV and use the 300s as a stereo pair for just music. Fingers crossed. 

Not sure if I should even keep the Sub Mini at this point or not. Neighbours complained when I used it. It was on the floor though, moved it on to the tv cabinet now so maybe that will help. Anyone else had problems with neighbours and managed to solve them?

Some of the bass energy is conducted through the building structure. Placing the subwoofer on a thick compliant pad will reduce conducted energy transmission.

Badge

Since music is more important for you, I wouldn’t do that.

I have Beam + Sub + 2x One SL. After a few tries, I decided to keep the Ones in the front, side by side to the Beam, and forfeit the sorround effect watching TV. Using the Ones as surround back speakers, behind my usual listening spot (that is also my TV watching spot) didn’t sound that good for music. I watch TV very seldom, and care more about music. The Ones provides definition and separation, the Beam, at low volume during music playback, “fills” the stage, and Sub adds the bass. It’s not optimal, I know, but works for me.

Obviously you can always try and see what works better for you.

Regarding sub noise, I have a Sub (not mini), on the floor, and didn’t get any complaint from neighbours. Not sure if it’s because I keep it a resonable volume, or they are very shy and understanding.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Since you're planning to buy another era 300 why not use these in stereo pair for music and keep the beam 2 with the era 100 as surrounds?

You will get the best music configuration in this set up and still a good home theater experience 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Since you're planning to buy another era 300 why not use these in stereo pair for music and keep the beam 2 with the era 100 as surrounds?

You will get the best music configuration in this set up and still a good home theater experience 

Yes, this is what I will do. Second Era 300 ordered and will use them as a stereo pair just for music as I am perfectly happy with the Era 100s as rear speakers. 👍

Just hoping I get the spatial effect with two 300s, slightly concerned it has more to do with the acoustics of my rooms than the speakers themselves.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I don’t have the era 300 but the arc and I am also not getting that much atmos effect. It could be my room that have a high ceiling or maybe just too much expectations I dont think this can replace the in ceilings.. but from whatI heard this is about as good as it can get with this type of setup. I hope you will enjoy