Additions and Features

Hey! So, my brother and I bought a Sonos Beam and Sub in June. Works amazing and we love it. I just have a few questions on expandability and features.

First off, We have a Sonos Beam and Sub. Are we able to expand with Sonos play or Sonos One speakers? what other Sonos secondary products can we link up to expand our experience. Same room secondary speakers or speakers we can link up in other rooms. Let me know any recommendations you may have.

Secondly, We have an echo and echo dot (both gen 1) already. So essentially we have two Alexa boxes now. Is it possible to basically assimilate these two? Just use the actual echo as like a dot or something? Or have the Alexa play music as like a secondary speaker or something? What basically can we do as far as the assimilation of the two - or do we just need to scrap the full-size echo (gen1) or put it into another room?

Thirdly, Any tips and tricks? Haha

5 replies

Any and all Sonos products can be used with yours. You can add two Play:1s* for surrounds for starters. Then you can add speakers in other rooms which can play alone, or grouped with others to play in sync. As to the Echos, you can use them to control Sonos, if the Sonos device does not have Alexa built in, but at this time they cannot be grouped to play with Sonos.

* I suggest Play:1s for surrounds because if you use Ones, the Alexa function is defaulted to the Beam, so there is no advantage over Play:1s.
jgatie wrote:

Any and all Sonos products can be used with yours. You can add two Play:1s* for surrounds for starters. Then you can add speakers in other rooms which can play alone, or grouped with others to play in sync. As to the Echos, you can use them to control Sonos, if the Sonos device does not have Alexa built in, but at this time they cannot be grouped to play with Sonos.

* I suggest Play:1s for surrounds because if you use Ones, the Alexa function is defaulted to the Beam, so there is no advantage over Play:1s.

Ahhhhh, thank you! And if I wanted to add a beam or playbase for another TV later on that would just seamless connect and we are all good? Any word on when, if at all, the Alexas might work in that matter? Also - am i able to have 100% alexa functionality with the beam as i have with my Gen 1 alexa? so control of lights and other controllers?
Badge
I think all except the up coming Apple Music. I control my Nest and my Casetts lights just fine from the Beam.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
iEchoWulf wrote:

Ahhhhh, thank you! And if I wanted to add a beam or playbase for another TV later on that would just seamless connect and we are all good?

yes.

iEchoWulf wrote:

Any word on when, if at all, the Alexas might work in that matter?

Not exactly sure what you mean by this. You can use your echos to control Sonos, it's very unlikely echos and Sonos speakers will ever play in sync, in my opinion.

iEchoWulf wrote:

Also - am i able to have 100% alexa functionality with the beam as i have with my Gen 1 alexa? so control of lights and other controllers?

Sonos speakers with Alexa built in cannot do everything an Echo can do. They can do smart home controls (lights and such) and most of the skills and general infromation. They cannot do calling. They also cannot be the Alexa device in a Alexa group. In my opinion, not currently enough to make a big difference. If it matters, you can turn off hte mic on the Sonos speaker and bring an echo into the room.

As far as Apple music through Alexa, nothing has been announced yet, but I don't see a reason why it wouldn't work at release or soon after.
Badge
Actually Apple Music has been announce for Alexa https://blog.aboutamazon.com/devices/alexa-play-bebe-rexha-on-apple-music. There was a quote in one of the Tech journals that it would initially be only available on Amazon devices and not third part Alexa devices, but I can't remember where I read that.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings