Answered

Adding Sonos to a bathroom

• 3 September 2012
  • 11 replies

I am looking to add a Sonos speaker to a master bathroom being redone, can either the 3 or 5 be used in a bathroom? Is there another option I should consider? Thanks.
icon

Best answer by MikeC - Sonos 4 September 2012, 02:43

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 3
Many customers use a Sonos player in their bathrooms but please note that Sonos players are not waterproof or environmentally hardened. Therefore they are not recommended for prolonged use in areas of highly condensing moisture.
Userlevel 5
Badge
May I add an option? I went for a Connect:AMP with wall mounted speakers made for environments like a bathroom. If you are about to have the bathroom redone you might be able to place the wires in the walls, as I did. Combine that with a waterproof Android device and you can change tunes while in the bath 🙂 Regards, Johan
Userlevel 3
Above option is a great idea, however I have Sonos Play3's in both bathrooms at my house for over a year and not a single problem, just use common sense and don't let it get wet. Ambient moisture from the steam has never been an issue.
Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
I would not worry to much As long as you do not take it under the shower I think you will be ok
Umm can I just add something to the Sonos comments!! I'm sure the 3 would be fine in the bathroom, but in the UK at least we have a ton of safety rules about electrical appliances in the bathroom... are Sonos saying the 240v plug and electricals would be safe if they fell into a bath??? sorry guys, I'm sure the Sonos can survive damp but at least point out the hazards of having ANY electrical equipment in the bathroom.. Health and Safety gone made, I know.. but give people all the info.. not just 'sure it'll be fine'..
Above option is a great idea, however I have Sonos Play3's in both bathrooms at my house for over a year and not a single problem, just use common sense and don't let it get wet. Ambient moisture from the steam has never been an issue.
My play 3 is placed appox. 2,5 meters from the shower in a small bathroom. It's running fine after 1 year.
Userlevel 2
According to the website (http://www.sonos.com/introducing/play1#tab-humidity-resistant)... "The PLAY:1 is designed to withstand humidity so it can survive in your bathroom, even while you’re taking a shower." I assume this implies it can be left in a bathroom, rather than just be taken in there occasionally?
If I was Sonos, I know what I would release next.
is it worth putting my play 1 into the ceiling of the bathroom I'm not sure i want it on a bracket. could any one recommend a ceiling grille?
I used a play amp and B&O waterproof outdoor speakers in the ceiling it was easy and sounds great