Answered

Adding Sonos Speakers

• 11 February 2019
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +4
I currently have the Sonos Playbar, Sub and two Play:1s set up as 5.1 surround. I am thinking of putting a speaker in the kitchen and bedroom. From what I've read you can't replace one of the Play:1s with a Sonos One as one of the rear surrounds. So I was thinking about buying two Sonos Ones and using them as the rear surrounds and placing one Play:1 in the kitchen and the other Play:1 in the bedroom. I have a couple of questions..

1. Will the Alexa device in one of the Sonos Ones control all of the units(The surround speakers and the individual speakers in the kitchen)?

2.Is it true that you can't use a Sonos One with a Play:1 as rear surrounds? I'd like to only buy one Sonos One and one Play:1

3. Is the sound quality of Sonos One the same as a Play:1?

4. The speaker I'm thinking of putting in the kitchen would be used mostly while preparing meals and listening to TV sound. The kitchen is semi open to the living room where I have the Sonos 5.1 set up. Would there be a delay in the sound and if so I'm wondering how annoying the delay would be.
icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 11 February 2019, 19:21

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

From what I've read you can't replace one of the Play:1s with a Sonos One as one of the rear surrounds.
This is incorrect. You can use either two Play:1s or two Ones. You can't mix and match. Despite superficial similarities they're totally different inside.
I currently have the Sonos Playbar, Sub and two Play:1s set up as 5.1 surround. I am thinking of putting a speaker in the kitchen and bedroom. From what I've read you can't replace one of the Play:1s with a Sonos One as one of the rear surrounds. So I was thinking about buying two Sonos Ones and using them as the rear surrounds and placing one Play:1 in the kitchen and the other Play:1 in the bedroom. I have a couple of questions..Yes you can only uses two speakers of the same type... there’s no 'mix and match' as Ratty explains.

1. Will the Alexa device in one of the Sonos Ones control all of the units(The surround speakers and the individual speakers in the kitchen)?Yes, you can voice control all your Sonos Rooms and Groups using Alexa/Alexa App and the Sonos Skill

2.Is it true that you can't use a Sonos One with a Play:1 as rear surrounds? I'd like to only buy one Sonos One and one Play:1That’s correct, the surround speakers need to be the same model.

3. Is the sound quality of Sonos One the same as a Play:1?I think the Sonos One sounds better than the Play:1... that’s just my personal opinion.

4. The speaker I'm thinking of putting in the kitchen would be used mostly while preparing meals and listening to TV sound. The kitchen is semi open to the living room where I have the Sonos 5.1 set up. Would there be a delay in the sound and if so I'm wondering how annoying the delay would be.There is no delay when grouping your speakers to play music audio, but you'll likely notice a slight delay/echo with the TV audio.
Userlevel 1
Badge +4
From what I've read you can't replace one of the Play:1s with a Sonos One as one of the rear surrounds.
This is incorrect. You can use either two Play:1s or two Ones. You can't mix and match. Despite superficial similarities they're totally different inside.

I was implying you can’t mix Ones and Play:1s soI was correct
Landru,

Sorry I had issues with my last post, but I have corrected/sorted it now. Hope that answers all your questions.
Userlevel 1
Badge +4
It’s disappointing that there is a delay in the TV sound because the prime use of the speaker in the kitchen would be to listen to the TV while the TV was on in the living room. As I stated its a semi open area between the kitchen and living room.
It’s disappointing that there is a delay in the TV sound because the prime use of the speaker in the kitchen would be to listen to the TV.The PlayBar and it’s bonded surrounds have less latency in their communication in order to keep the TV surround audio in lip-sync with the video on screen and they use the faster 5ghz wireless band for that purpose.

The other speakers around the home use the 2.4ghz band for buffered audio as that is best for signal/connection through walls and floors etc. and keeping grouped/paired speakers in sync. However there is a delay of between 30-70ms, so you will probably encounter a slight echo between the bonded PlayBar and other grouped Sonos rooms.

There is a lip-sync slider bar in the PlayBar Room Settings that may help the situation, but you will need to try that and see if it works for you, your LAN and your particular model of TV.

I have a 'bonded' Sonos Beam/Surrounds setup and that works quite well for me with other grouped Sonos rooms, but I know some users do encounter sync issues that they have not been able to remedy.

Apologies. I misread your post.
Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Apologies. I misread your post.

No problem