Adding Play 5 for stereo pair or adding two Play 1s

• 22 March 2018
  • 7 replies

Just bought my first Sonos product, a Play 5. I love it, but I want to add to it to feel even more surrounded by my music. Given the layout of my living room/kitchen below and the current Play 5 denoted in blue, should I add a second Play 5 to make a stereo pair or should I add a pair of Play 1s to throw on the back wall of my kitchen?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi jrbill

Congrats on your first Sonos. The Play 5 is an excellent speaker. Judging from your diagram the Play 5 should be adequate to fill the space it's currently in. I'd go with a Play 1 or Sonos One w/Alexa to bring a stonger signal into the Kit area if you feel it's lacking. The Play 1 and Sonos One are also moisture resistant. Additionally, at the price point of a Play 5 you could purchase either 2 Play 1's or Sonos One's and place one in your bedroom to bring Sonos to that area. That's my recommendation

Cheers!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
A second Play 5 on the other side of your entry door would do a lot for your stereo image. I'd be tempted to do that rather than adding speakers to the kitchen. Adding a Sub later would make a nice difference too.

Your bedroom could use a Play 1 but maybe a Play 3 would sound better in there, of course a Play 5 would be better yet, but maybe not enough better to justify the cost.

I love having a Play 1 in my bathroom, it gets a lot of use when I can play it at a low level rather than one of my other systems in another room louder.
Userlevel 7
HI jrbill

Stanley_4 makes a good point for creating a stereo pair. I have Play 5's set as such and they are awesome! However, my only concern is that at this juncture you have an opportunity to expand your Sonos (bedroom and Kitchen) for the same price point as a Play 5. Another Play 5 can be added at a later date to improve the stereo effect in the main living area.

So given that you have such excellent advice from two well experienced connoisseurs of music :8 ...what should you do?

Here's and idea...purchase the 2nd Play 5 and a Play 1 or Sonos One and audition both to determine how you want to spend your money at this time.

Most retailers_brick n' mortar and on-line_offer a decent return policy (Sonos direct is 45 days). To quote a line from the second Alien movie..."that's the only way to be sure" ;)

Also, if you do decide to go with a pair of Play 1's or Sonos One's although they look similar you cannot mix and match as both speakers must be the same to create a stereo pair. Just FYI...

Good luck, Enjoy and Cheers
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I would put another Play:5 in the living room (and future get a sub as well) ... and a Sonos One for the bedroom.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
For me it all depends on how important stereo imaging is to you. I am always one to look to expand into other rooms before creating stereo pairs. I would even consider adding a Sonos one in the kitchen and another one in the bedroom. Then you would have your apartment covered. You said you wanted to be surrounded which does not necessarily mean two channel to me.
It is difficult, as it’s not easy to know where existing electrical sockets are, or the exact position of counter tops and what exists on those tops already, but if all were as I'd hoped, then I personally would buy an additional Play-5 and two Play-1’s (or Sonos Ones) ... you do not have to buy all in one go, but see my last paragraph below.

The two Play-5’s would be in stereo pair setup in front of the main seating area, leaving the existing Play-5 where it is.

The two Play 1's or Sonos Ones could perhaps be placed at the other end of the room in the kitchen area and if they can be placed opposite each of the Play-5's too, one near point 16 and one in the corner by the patio doors you could also make those a stereo pair... if not consider them as just being standalone, the furthest you can set them apart. You can even try one of them in the bedroom, just as a test, to see how it sounds in there.

You can then, from time to time, group all speakers to fill the entire room, or you can ungroup and play music just in the main seating area, or just the kitchen area.

I would start with purchasing the two Play-1's or Sonos Ones and then buy the other Play-5 whenever it suits you.

If you buy direct from Sonos, remember there is 100-day (no quibble) money back guarantee ... so you could buy all three speakers and send back any that you think you don’t really need.
Yea, I don't think there's a wrong decision here. I probably would look to get a stereo pair in the bedroom as the next move, assuming you do more then sleep in there. If you have a party where you want more in the living area, you can move them to the kitchen temporarily with little effort. Getting another P5 is fine too, but you'll spend a little more and won't get the multiroom experience.