Question

About to buy a SONOS, a couple of questions regarding usability.

• 23 November 2016
  • 12 replies

Badge
Today I went to a shop almost decided to buy a SONOS, unfortunately the vendor there had no clue about the system and couldn't answer any of my questions, happens.

Anyway, my use case would be:

- I stream to my TV (Samsung UE48JU) movies from my PC using Chromecast.
- I like to watch some YouTube videos mostly or occasionally some music in the kitchen while I do something.
- I play PS4 on the TV.
- I don't play PC games on the TV, but might happen in the future, perhaps.

The idea is:

- to buy a playbar for the TV and a play 3 for the kitchen.
- if everything works really good, later I'd add a sub-woofer + a couple of play 3 to get 5.1 to the TV room.

However I've been reading that:

- some people has issues when trying to get 5.1, because apparently when you connect the console through the HDMI connection, you cant get optic audio out in 5.1
- YouTube is not supported within the app, any workarounds?.or could I use Chromecast somehow?.

Basically those are my questions.

Thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

No problem with YouTube, simply Chromecast to your TV, then sound out the optical port to the Playbar. Works gr8.
My Smart TV has a YouTube app (I think most do) which I can pair to my phone's YouTube app, so I don't even need a Chromecast for that. Although I do have a Chromecast and do sometimes use it for YouTube!

It is possible that your TV won't pass through 5.1 sound out over optical, but there are generally ways round this, such as a relatively inexpensive digital optical switch, or HDMI switch with optical output, allowing the audio to bypass the TV.
Badge
No problem with YouTube, simply Chromecast to your TV, then sound out the optical port to the Playbar. Works gr8.

The problem with that is that then I got no video from the tablet. What I want to achieve is better sound from the tablet, but still see the video in the tablet.
Badge
My Smart TV has a YouTube app (I think most do) which I can pair to my phone's YouTube app, so I don't even need a Chromecast for that. Although I do have a Chromecast and do sometimes use it for YouTube!

It is possible that your TV won't pass through 5.1 sound out over optical, but there are generally ways round this, such as a relatively inexpensive digital optical switch, or HDMI switch with optical output, allowing the audio to bypass the TV.

This 5.1 issue will only happen after when I got a full true 5.1 set of speakers right?, not with the playbar alone. What I mean is, with only the playbar, is there any kind of surround-ish effect?.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Yeah I think if you only feed playbar with stereo, it can simulate sound for all its 3 speakers.,,i think..
Badge
What is the return policy of SONOS?, if I try it for a week and I don't like it/doesn't work as expected can I return it?.
Would you be getting it from Sonos directly or the retailer that knew nothing? If from the retailer, it is up to the them on their return policy. I do not know what Sonos' is.
I do not know what Sonos' is.
The local sales policy is in the narrow black banner at the top of http://www.sonos.com.
Badge
The local sales policy is in the narrow black banner at the top of http://www.sonos.com.

Ok so it doesn't matter if I buy it from a retailer or not then?.

I went here: http://www.sonos.com/storelocator/

and I could find the store I'm buying it from.
Correct. I get all my Sonos kit from Best Buy here in the states. Their return policy is 30 days. I always try it for the 30 days. Never have I returned any Sonos gear.
Badge
Cool then, I will buy it from them and test it, thanks.

Ok so it doesn't matter if I buy it from a retailer or not then?.

I interpret the return policy stated on the Sonos site as only referring to direct sales. By 'local sales' I meant in your specific country, not down the road at your nearest big-box store.