Answered

6 independent zones: which Sonos device to buy?

• 22 May 2019
  • 2 replies

Hello Sonos aficionados!
I am the process of building a new home which will be completed this fall. The house is being prewired with 16-2 or plus Cat-6 to use with a Sonos setup. I have 6 independent zones planned: Kitchen (2 Sonance in ceiling speakers) 8 ohms ea., Screen porch: (2 Sonance in ceiling speakers) 8 ohms ea., Master Bedroom ((2 Sonance in ceiling speakers) 8 ohms ea., Master Bath: (2 Sonance in ceiling speakers) 8 ohms ea, Outdoor speakers: 2 in ground speakers 8 ohms ea. I will also have a dedicated Sonos Amp connected to its own A/V Receiver in the great room with 5.1 in ceiling speaker setup. I understand the limitations to the Sonos Amp and 5.1. I am only utilizing it for music when guests are visiting.
In the basement I will have all the Sonos Amps ( or Sonos Connect depending on your suggestions) in a home run configuration in the mechanical room. I have a premium Spotify account so I plan to use the app to chose my music and which zones to run.

My question is based on the configuration and ohms what is the most economical Sonos Amp/Connect configuration? Sonos Connect wired to an amplifier at home run area or Sonos Amp for each independent zone connected to the AV receiver for the home theater in the basement? Also can I still get the first generation Sonos Amp (white model) or did the new Sonos Amp replace it? I do no see the first generation on the Sonos page.
If you are recommended an amp if you have any models in mind I will appreciate you sharing the model number. If you need additional details I am happy to provide them to you.

Thank you!

Blair
icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 22 May 2019, 14:55

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Hi Blair

If you are using all Sonance in each zone then you have no other choice other than to purchase a Sonos Amp for each if you want to be able to keep them as independent zones to group and un-group at will. The same applies for the in-ground speakers. The Connect AMP can still be found on eBay and on-line…you’ll just have to dig a little further.

Also, when using the Sonance ceiling speakers connected to a Sonos Amp, you have the ability to tune them with Trueplay. This makes a significant improvement. And of course, if you ever decide to put in a TV for these places, the Sonos Amp is right device for the job.

There is no need to integrate a Sonos Amp with an AVR. The Sonos Amp is intended to negate that as it will deliver DD4.1. The Sonos Connect (input/output) is the product used to integrate with an AVR to which you may have speakers and turntable, CD or other source connected.

100% right on this. Just chiming in to say that since you have the opportunity to wire speakers before the walls are up, I would seriously consider putting at least the wires for a 7.1 or atmos type setup. Maybe consider in-wall speakers or a soundbar in the front as you'll get better sound. Ceiling speakers are great for keeping things nice and clean, but they won't give you the best sound, particularly in a home theatre setup.

8 ohms is the load for both the Sonos Amp and Connect: Amp.

With so many zones I suggest you go with a wired configuration to place all Sonos in Boost mode. All that is required is the wiring of one Sonos component or the use of the dedicated Boost module.

But still put in the cat 6 to every room for other networked devices. I'd also look at using HDMI cables from rooms where you might place a TV back to the basement as well. This is the best time to do it. I understand the desire to be economical, but it's smart to lay the framework of everything you may want to do in the future now. It's also possible you could roll your costs in the home loan.
Userlevel 7
Hi Blair

If you are using all Sonance in each zone then you have no other choice other than to purchase a Sonos Amp for each if you want to be able to keep them as independent zones to group and un-group at will. The same applies for the in-ground speakers. The Connect AMP can still be found on eBay and on-line…you’ll just have to dig a little further.

To be clear the Connect Amp will be a better choice to just run a pair of speakers each. HDMI-ARC for TV connection would be a wasted feature on the Sonos Amp. However, having the latest and greatest that Sonos has to offer is always a rush. JMHO.😎

There is no need to integrate a Sonos Amp with an AVR. The Sonos Amp is intended to negate that as it will deliver DD4.1. The Sonos Connect (input/output) is the product used to integrate with an AVR to which you may have speakers for HT and turntable, CD or other source connected.

You might consider an Onkyo AVR : https://www.onkyousa.com/sonos/

8 ohms is the load for both the Sonos Amp and Connect: Amp.

With so many zones I suggest you go with a wired configuration to place all Sonos in Boost mode. All that is required is the wiring of one Sonos component or the use of the dedicated Boost module.

I further suggest you consult a professional installer. Not just because of the number of Amps in play but also to integrate induvial room volume controls.

Please post back with any additional clarification you deem important or just to let us know how things sort out.😊

Cheers!