Answered

5.1 system - arc, sonance x 4, sub

• 21 November 2022
  • 7 replies

I am currently creating a home theatre setup in a family room that measures 18’x12’. I do not have the ability to install recessed wall speakers, and I do not wish to hang speakers off the wall. 

Can I use 4 ceiling Sonance speakers to be my front L+R and rear L+R, along with a sub and Arc for my centre channel? I am planning on hooking up the system to my television via the Arc.

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 21 November 2022, 05:52

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

No, unfortunately not. The Arc can not be used as a center channel, it is always is right, center and left.

You could conceivably go with two Sonos Amps, bonded together, and you would get an interpolated center channel, but the you wouldn’t have the Arc. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Having the TV sound come from above is not a good idea, it should appear to originate from the screen. It is also not necessary to use in-ceilings for FL and FR, since the Arc already provides those.

I’m thinking of an in wall speaker under a 70 inch TV as everything is built in.

Sonos do not make a front centre-only HT speaker - they do make soundbars with all three front channels built into those.. only thing you can add to a soundbar is two rear channel surround speakers and Sub(s).

If you want in-wall speakers, then you can use two Sonos Amps, one for the front L/R channels which uses two speakers only. (The front center channel is a phantom centre channel) and the second Amp links wirelessly to the first for the two rear channels. Upto two large Sonos Subs can be added to the setup, but one must be a Sub (gen3), or you can add just one Sub-Mini instead.

Thanks Ken. Very helpful.

Hi, 

I’m setting up a 5.1 home theatre using Sonos Sonance speakers. It seems they are only sold in pairs. Any suggestions on how to buy one front centre speaker?

Thanks.

Steve

Hi, 

I’m setting up a 5.1 home theatre using Sonos Sonance speakers. It seems they are only sold in pairs. Any suggestions on how to buy one front centre speaker?

Thanks.

Steve

Do you mean a Sonos soundbar as that’s the only devices that have/operate a HT front centre speaker. The options available are:

Note: A ‘pair’ of Speakers can be bonded to the above for use as rear HT surrounds, often alongside a Sub, or Sub-Mini.

I’m thinking of an in wall speaker under a 70 inch TV as everything is built in.