5.1 Surround setting

• 12 December 2018
  • 8 replies

Hi everyone! I'm trying to set my living room on a 5.1 surround and I currently have the Soundbar and the Sub.
What have I to buy now? Two Play 1 or two Sono's One? I'm just wondering which are the differences between these two components.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

I wanna to thank all of you for the kind answers and support, it's my first time in this community and it feels so good! So glad to find out it's full of sound-passionate people who have interest to share knowledge and opinions pacefully :)
For me isn't a matter of vocal manage but just of the sound. In this purpose I'm sure the Play 1's will work greatly! 😳
Userlevel 7
@melvimbe

I agree with your points. There are a lot of people with more money than they know what to do with (excessive disposal income). I must assume that if Sonos put them on the website there is a market. No manner how I feel about the offerings someone is going to buy into the hype_drink the cool-aid:8

Speaking as a listener I wonder how much of the acoustic sound is diffused by the enclosure. The differences in sound characteristics may only be audible to a select few; but I've got to assume they (the cases) have some impact (TruePlay tuning or not). It would be interesting to TruePlay a room with and without the enclosures.
. Just spotted those Tone Cases on that link! What on earth... put your Play 1 in a box for a mere $199 !

I agree...

Why would I want to hide/camouflage my Sonos speakers? At $199 which is more than the Play 1 in IMO is ludicrous. That reminds of the days when Plasma TV's were selling for $7K and up and the buyer lived in an apartment renting for $500 a month. Jeeze!

My thought when I saw that was a reminder that there are people out there that effectively have 'money to burn'. And honestly, if someone has money to burn, I'd encourage them to spend it on stuff I'd consider frivolous as it's the best way to distribute the wealth (In my opinion anyway).

Similarly, if you were having a Sonos system put in by an installer for example, you may not be aware of the specific of all the item costs for your project, or care too much on whether the total cost is $8000 or $9000 (just throwing numbers out there). And maybe including those boxes is the difference between your spouses approval/disapproval of the project. Perhaps you're rolling it into an overall home improvement loan or something, where there difference is only dollars a month on the loan payment.
Userlevel 7
. Just spotted those Tone Cases on that link! What on earth... put your Play 1 in a box for a mere $199 !

I agree...

Why would I want to hide/camouflage my Sonos speakers? At $199 which is more than the Play 1 in IMO is ludicrous. That reminds of the days when Plasma TV's were selling for $7K and up and the buyer lived in an apartment renting for $500 a month. Jeeze!
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
AjTrek1 is correct. There are mounts for the One but without the screw they are a little more cumbersome but work well. Just spotted those Tone Cases on that link! What on earth... put your Play 1 in a box for a mere $199 !
Userlevel 7
Hi Matabacaduteo

Edward R and bockersjv gave excellent advice. However, the Sonos One's are cable of wall mount as well. Just wanted to make sure you didn't interpret ease of wall mounting for the Play 1's as an absolute against the Sonos One's. Click the link: https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/accessories/speaker-mounts

Cheers!
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
It is worth noting the the Play 1's have a screw mount for a wall bracket so are easier to place.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, Matabacaduteo. For those purposes, there is no difference. It's a matter of whether voice control is a priority for you or not, mainly.