Answered

5.1 set up question - upgrade to Play:5s?

• 2 December 2019
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hey All,

I could really use some advice on whether it’s a good idea to update my current 5.1 set up or stick with what I already have.

I’ve currently got my TV set up with a Playbar, Sub and two rear Sonos Ones (Gen 2). I use it for both the TV audio and often play music through this set up as well. My question is whether it would be worth replacing the two Sonos Ones with two Play:5s (Gen 2).

To give you an idea of the space, it’s essentially a big, long room - open plan living at one end, dining area in the middle and kitchen at the other end. The TV, Playbar and Sub are on the furthest wall in the living, the couch faces those and the two Sonos Ones sit behind the couch on a console table that separates the living and dining areas.

I love my current system and it seems adequate enough. I don’t feel like I need another speaker in the kitchen when listening to music, for example. That said, I’ve never owned a Play:5 before and don’t know what I’m missing. (I never thought I needed the Sub, after all...but, once I got it, I could never go back!)

I need some Sonos Ones for elsewhere in my house so I’m thinking I might take the opportunity to relocate the two in my TV set up and replace them with two Play:5s placed vertically.

From everything I’ve read, the Play:5s are a better speaker….but I don’t want to ruin a good thing. I like that the current Sonos Ones give a good all-around sound when listening to music even if you’re behind them (i.e. if I’m in the kitchen)… 

My question is whether the Play:5s are more directional… Will it sound better when in the living area watching TV but worse when I’m behind them in the kitchen?

Any advice on what to go with would be appreciated. Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 2 December 2019, 14:02

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

I would just stick with what you have, as you already sound like you are quite happy with the current setup and it’s a lot of money for little added benefit. Two Sonos Ones and a sub are just fine for most home living rooms, together with the PlayBar.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Why not keep what you have and add new speakers to the kitchen area? A pair of Ones would likely be enough. A single 5 will likely put out more sound but will have less stereo separation. If space is tight maybe even a Beam tucked away over or under the cabinets?

We went with a single One setting on one of the Sonos outlet mounted shelves in our kitchen, more so we could just have lower volume music there. Our space is a big L with a pair of 3s in the front leg, Beam and Sub in the center and the One in the kitchen on the back end.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Why not keep what you have and add new speakers to the kitchen area? A pair of Ones would likely be enough. A single 5 will likely put out more sound but will have less stereo separation. If space is tight maybe even a Beam tucked away over or under the cabinets?

We went with a single One setting on one of the Sonos outlet mounted shelves in our kitchen, more so we could just have lower volume music there. Our space is a big L with a pair of 3s in the front leg, Beam and Sub in the center and the One in the kitchen on the back end.

Sorry - I might not have been clear. I’m not having any problem in the kitchen area. The new ones I’m getting are for an office and bathroom elsewhere in the house.

I’ll try again.

What i’ve got already works fine for the whole area - i.e. the playbar, sub and 2 sonos ones in the living area fills the whole space well enough. Or it sounds good enough for me.

My question was about upgrading the existing system to Play:5s (so having a playbar, sub and 2 play:5s in the living area). I know it’ll probably sound better in the living area itself because that’s the direction that the Play:5s will be facing.

But, the question is, in comparison to what I have now, could there by any negative effects for the kitchen space when playing music? i.e. what if the Play:5s don’t sound as good when you’re behind them as they do when you’re in front of them?

I’m asking because I think the Sonos Ones do sound really good when you’re behind them. So, right now, they make the sound travel to the kitchen well enough when i’m playing music...so much so that I don’t need an additional speaker there (I have them set to ‘full’ instead of ‘ambient’ for music, of course). While I like the idea of Play:5s producing better sound while watching tv, I don’t want to switch to Play:5s if it means that I then negatively impact what I hear in the kitchen when playing music because then I’ll need to get yet another speaker for there.

Of course, if the Play:5s do sound just as good from behind as they do when you’re in front, then it’ll all work out great.

I hope that makes sense!!!

Userlevel 1
Badge

I would just stick with what you have, as you already sound like you are quite happy with the current setup and it’s a lot of money for little added benefit. Two Sonos Ones and a sub are just fine for most home living rooms, together with the PlayBar.

Thanks for your response. I think you’re probably right. If it ain’t broke...

I guess I’ve just always been curious about the Play:5s and how they sound… I’ve always seen them in corners and against walls rather than in the middle of the room though, so I’m thinking that’s more what they’re designed for.