Answered

5.1 Home Cinema - Play Bar or Play Base???

• 17 June 2018
  • 2 replies

Badge +1
Hi. So the new house build is nearly complete and I'm about to take the plunge. I've had wired 5.1 separates in the past, but this my first foray into Sonos.

Having read up, Googled and read previous threads here, I'm still a little unsure of which to get - PlayBase or PlayBar.

Removing the obvious decider from the equation, wall mount or bench top, as I can have either arrangement, for those who have tried both, which delivered the better sound?

I'll be buying the Sub and two Ones to use as rear surrounds at the same time. The deeper and richer the bass and mids, the better as far as I'm concerned.

Looking at the overall footprint and mass of the PlayBase, everything's making me lean in that direction rather than the Bar.

We only use the following input/ouput which helps narrow things down possibly: We have a Sony 4k TV and using the internal Android, we use the built in Netflix and Prime Video Apps.
We have Sky Q connected via HDMI to the TV. Music is only played via Spotify from either the Sky Q App or Airplay to the Sky Q box. Obviously the latter will come from the Sonos App once it arrives.

So, Dolby Digital is enough for us. We've no interest in Atmos or DTS at the mo and unless Sky/Netflix/Prime changes its sound formats, that's unlikely to change.

Anything form anyone who's tried both bar and base would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.
icon

Best answer by Sonosjunkie 18 June 2018, 02:29

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12
if you can fit it the playbase sound a little better then the playbar. If you have to wall mount, the playbar is still one of the best sounding sound bars on the market.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Might be worth waiting a few weeks until you can audition the beam. In isolation might not be quite up there with the base/bar, but overall functionality will be increased, more future proof if you will. Playbar is not going to be able to support the nee developments in terms of Airplay 2 and whilst the base can give you that, not Alexa etc

But of the two current models even though I own a Playbar and preferred it when I auditioned Sonos for HT purposes, I’d probably go with a playbase today on the basis it is more likely to be uodated with new features over the playbar e.g AP.

For music there are differences in the sound, but for movies/tv in a 5.1 setup inc a Sub, either will give a great sound.