Question

2 sets of existing in-wall speakers, far from router

• 12 July 2020
  • 1 reply

I just moved into a new apartment and intend to add to my sonos system. Right now I have connect for steaming into my big nice speakers and I plan to add Five’s for the main room. 

In this new place there are existing speakers in the master bedroom and master bathroom with a nice panel in the closet with RCA connectors. I’d like to be able to control the two sets of speakers separately, but depending on cost I might be ok with them being controlled together. 

I’d considering buying somthing used for the existing speakers. The closet with the panel is far from the router, but gets great wifi reception. I was looking at the ZP120, but I can’t tell if you can control 2 sets of speakers separately and it seems that it needs to be connected to the network via ethernet. Am I correct on those points? What is the best approach?

Thanks!

(newbie)

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @LBDinNYC, thank you for reaching out.

The RCA port on the ZP120 is input, I would like to see the RCA connectors you’re mentioning.

Please take a picture and post them here. So, we can give the best recommendation.

Also, Sonos Five uses the S2 app and the ZP120 the S1 app.

This means you’ll have a split household, you won’t be able to group them together, and you’ll need to use two apps. 

The S2 equivalent for the ZP120 is the Sonos Amp.

For the controls, the app has the capability for a group playback or a separate playback. As long as they’re all in the same app. 

More details here.

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.