Question

2 play 5's or 2 play 1's and a play 5

• 1 December 2016
  • 10 replies

So I'm finally deciding to pick up my first sonos setup!
We have quiet a large living room so I would appreciate the sound of a stereo pair.
I can't decide between these 2 setups. Will 2 play 5's sound better?
The thing is 2 play 1's and a play 5 allow me more to distribute the speakers around the house... can't decide.

Maybe I just pick up the 2 play 1's and a play 5 and start saving up for another play 5 . 🙂

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Hi Lauke,

Welcome to the Sonos community,

Your budget is you guide. I can tell you that once you start buying Sonos speakers it is very hard to stop!! Go with a pair of Play1s and you can always expand your setup as you go.

A few tips. Be sure to have one of your Sonos products hard wired to your router and that product at least a meter away from the router. This will get you using Sonos net.

Have you home Wifi on a different channel than your Sonos Net. example Sonos on 1 and our WiFi on 11

Hope this helps
Enjoy
Hello

Thanks for your fast response!

Does it need to be hard wired all the time to use sonos net? We have got a few powerlines around the house tot expand our wifi network.

Thanks again!
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
Hello

Thanks for your fast response!

Does it need to be hard wired all the time to use sonos net? We have got a few powerlines around the house tot expand our wifi network.

Thanks again!

No, just connect an ethernet for an easy setup experience, then disconnect and use Wifi
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Sonos works on both WiFi and Sonos Net. It works best on Sonos net. To use Sonos net you need to hard wire one Sonos product all the time. You could get a Boost if it is not easy to plug in a speaker.

Have a look at this thread about powerlines

https://en.community.sonos.com/advanced-setups-229000/powerline-isnt-supported-but-i-want-to-try-it-anyway-43691
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Have a look at

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3046/kw/sonosnet/session/L3RpbWUvMTQ4MDYwMDk1OC9zaWQvZlVfSVR5Qzl1ZXBTWjVjWFlqMlhyaXZ6UzQwOTFSSGxDaTVfWGJfODREc0pyd0NCVG9udWpVcWtRQmN6ZGdPRHNCNHlZOG1ZQWpjVjM4elAwOUVpJTdFaVBWamJteWlmYlhWSkloc1Fob3RRazhvdm1GZUJ0dTJOZnclMjElMjE%3D
Thank you for the supported links. I had a good read on those as well as other posts linked to them.

So if I understand correctly, powerlines are not officialy supported but might work. So i'll try it out first, and if it doesnt work out I'll get a boost.

So to go back tot my original question, and I'll maybe ask it differently; what is the best sonos setup for a single room for around a 1000euro's?
Thanks for the quick replies
Lovely forum
Regards
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
Thank you for the supported links. I had a good read on those as well as other posts linked to them.

So if I understand correctly, powerlines are not officialy supported but might work. So i'll try it out first, and if it doesnt work out I'll get a boost.

So to go back tot my original question, and I'll maybe ask it differently; what is the best sonos setup for a single room for around a 1000euro's?
Thanks for the quick replies
Lovely forum
Regards

It's difficult to suggest what's best for each individual. The Play:5's sound way better than Play:1's, so I'd be leaning towards two Play:5's. The beauty of Sonos is that you can always add more 🙂
Well, that's 2 play 1's and a play 5 ordered! Can't wait. Thanks for the responses!
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Hate to tell you but I think you will be ordering another Play5 soon! LOL
I have a feeling my wife will get me one for Christmas hehe.