Answered

ZP80 line out problems

• 10 September 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 3

My venerable S1 ZP80s have suddenly stopped working when connected to my Nad amp via line out and phono.

Generally,  I'm getting close to zero volume even with the amp volume at max. Resetting gets me normal sound for 5-10 seconds and then it cuts out or drops back to residual levels. 

This is happening with two different ZP80s. The amp and speakers are proven to work,  I've tried different phono cables and different amp ports and done multiple factory resets. No joy.

Any ideas,  or have my gen 1s finally been bricked? Updates are all done. 

icon

Best answer by ratty 10 September 2022, 15:36

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

There have been cases on the older units where the analog output stage has failed. It does seem strange, but not impossible, that this would happen on both ZPs at about the same time. 

Often a successful workaround is to hang a small, inexpensive DAC off one of the digital outputs. 

Userlevel 3

They are both the same age,  so not impossible. Weird,  but definitely not upgrade related,  so it's hard to think what else it could be.  Dang. Thanks for your reply. 

It could be age/temperature-related decay in some capacitor or other.

Try them with a budget Amazon DAC -- at just 10-12 GBP/USD -- and see if the digital outs are still operational. If you then want to spend more on a DAC that’s up to you. 

Of course if you already have an AV receiver lying around you could always connect a digital output to that as a test.

Userlevel 3

Cheers,  much appreciated.