Answered

ZP80 Analog output has stopped working

• 16 July 2016
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
So I have a 5 zone system that has been working great for many years. Yesterday one of the ZP's that is connected to a 12 channel power amp stopped working. The sound was very low at first, then intermittent and then stopped altogether.

I swapped cables - no change
Swapped inputs on the power amp - no change
Plugged a different ZP into the power amp and everything worked great again
Tried the defective ZP with my AVR using the analog outs on the ZP to an input on the AVR and nothing again
Tried the defective ZP's digital (COAX) output into the AVR and it worked fine, I am assuming the Optical will work as well but haven't tried that yet.

So after eliminating everything else it certainly appears the analog outs are shot on the ZP 80.

Is there any fix for this?

If, not it's not tragic as I will move that ZP to the AVR and get another to plug into the 12 Channel AMP but if I can save it so much the better.

Unfortunately, the AMPS do not have digital inputs and I have 2 of those 12 channel amps driving all the zones and one ZP is also sending its digital out the the AVR.
icon

Best answer by ratty 16 July 2016, 20:28

It sounds like some analog output components have finally given up. If you contact Sonos Support they may be able to offer a deal on a replacement, but to be brutally frank the venerable ZP80 has had a long and fruitful life.

Why don't you just pick up a budget DAC and splice that between the ZP80 and your amps.
View original

5 replies

It sounds like some analog output components have finally given up. If you contact Sonos Support they may be able to offer a deal on a replacement, but to be brutally frank the venerable ZP80 has had a long and fruitful life.

Why don't you just pick up a budget DAC and splice that between the ZP80 and your amps.
Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks that may be a good option down the road. I picked up a CONNECT on Ebay pretty cheap so I will just use the old ZP to connect to the AVR using the digital and create that as a new zone.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Sonos has proven not only do they make a great product but they also back it up like a great company!! After a few emails to diagnose the problem and sending in some diagnostics Sonos has offered a non-warranty replacement at a very reasonable price. All this for a component that mostly still works(just analog outs are bad) and is 8 years old!! My ZP80 was part of the original Bundle 150's offered very early on by Sonos. So this thing has work flawlessly for 8 + years and now they offer to replace it at what I consider a nominal fee.
Great news. BTW it was probably Bundle 130.
Badge
I too have Five of my Original ZP90's Connected to a 12 Channel Multi-Room Amp.
Two days ago the unit that feeds sound to the Living Room went silent. (units are from 2011) I swapped it out for a ZP90 in a Guest B/R that was connected with the Digital Optical cable. Apparently, the Analog outputs from the Living Room unit have failed, but, the Digital Output is fine. And the Unit from the Bedroom still works perfectly on the 12-Channel Amp.(Analog out) So I just did a rename on the Units and good to go.
That said, I labeled the unit in the B/R as Digital out only.. now.. I guess in reality, that unit is slowly dying .