Answered

YouTube Music skipping tracks due to song not being encoded properly

• 1 February 2020
  • 82 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

I keep getting this error randomly, after X seconds of playing a track. The same track will sometimes play through without error, so clearly its nothing to do with encoding since its intermittent.  Very frustrating since all I play is from YouTube Music.  Diagnostic 291296562.

icon

Best answer by Ryan S 1 May 2020, 19:19

View original

82 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Agreed.   This is infuriating.  I don't know how or to whom this can be escalated.

Anyone have any ideas?

Hey everyone. Thanks for the ongoing engagement with this thread.

Currently, the Sonos team is aware of this ongoing issue and we are still working on a resolution.

Feel free to continue posting replies to this thread as we appreciate your feedback and patience on this matter.

Once there is an update further, we will gladly update this thread as needed.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Sincere thanks for the quick response here.  Knowing that it's actively being worked is heartening.

Badge

Ive got the same problem over the last couple of days. I notice if Im using my iPad to select a playlist in Youtube Music and the iPad screen is on it will come up with those errors. if I close the iPad on the same songs, it won't have the error?

Same issue in Norway and it happens A LOT. Lucky if I get to hear a 3rd of a YTM playlist.

Same issue in sweden. Using Google play music until youtube music is fixed.

I have the same issue with Youtube Music. About 1/3 of songs skip, usually after less than 30 seconds.

Same problem with google play music and YouTube music in Canada.  I have 2 gen1 play5s and was agonizing over whether to do any trade up, but they are making really hard to do that or recommend Sonos to anyone if they can’t fix this right away.

Same issue with YouTube music premium in UK. I am playing on Beam with two Play 1’s as surround. I had Spotify premium up until last month and had no issues with it.

Today it is working much better for google play music...so far.  But YouTube still seems a bit off as a song just cut off - but how I would know whether it is Sonos or service...that is another drawback to this system.  Great when it works but difficult to troubleshoot yourself.

Maybe something has been improved as I did not change my network.

Indigomirage asked about escalation...

I did send emails of complaint to a customer service rep and also used the link to email the CEO.

i am frustrated by this streaming problem having happened at all as well as about the upgrade path which I consider to be inappropriate.  I wish to understand why it is necessary to have split systems or miss out on all features, even if some equipment could not support the new features.  Sync and control seem fundamentally sound so I don’t know why they need to lose control over older speakers.

I got a response to the CEO query from Sonos and have a telephone call meeting set up with a Sonos supervisor of some sort on the 20th (first date available) so will hear what they have to say.

This needs to be fixed ASAP!!!

+1
Good afternoon,
I ask you to urgently fix this problem, I really ask you to help ................
you are such a cool company "sonos"
It’s not possible to listen to the speakers without any action for 2 months
do something, now quarantine wants to at least somehow please yourself.
Thank you for understanding....:sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob:

Unfortunately, it is unlikely to be an issue on Sonos’ side of things, but instead something on YouTube’s servers. And I’m willing to bet that while Sonos folks continue to raise the issue with them, fixing it is nicotine a priority on YouTube’s side. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Unfortunately, it is unlikely to be an issue on Sonos’ side of things, but instead something on YouTube’s servers. And I’m willing to bet that while Sonos folks continue to raise the issue with them, fixing it is nicotine a priority on YouTube’s side. 

I don't know if that's intentional or autocorrect, but I think you stumbled upon a pretty good new usage for the word ‘nicotine'.  Tempted to notify the folks at OED…. :)

Wrt the issue - yeah, a gut check tells me it's in the Google side.  Maybe an overzealous reauthentication call or something?  (I'm out of my depth though…)

Laugh. Good point, I did mean ‘not’ rather than nicotine. Big fan of the OED folks, have given them my fair share of money, but I’m willing to bet they’d be unsurprised by the autocorrect fail, as well as my poor typing and proofreading skills ;) 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Laugh. Good point, I did mean ‘not’ rather than nicotine. Big fan of the OED folks, have given them my fair share of money, but I’m willing to bet they’d be unsurprised by the autocorrect fail, as well as my poor typing and proofreading skills ;) 

Since we can agree on the need for both nicotine _and_ a software resolution to the issue outstanding, it begs the question…

… when can we get a patch?

:)

It’s still up to Youtube, so asking here in the Sonos forums doesn’t get that nail hit on the head as it should. Assuming you’re paying for a YouTube account, have you contacted them directly? They’re much more likely to listen to a paying customer than they are to Sonos, I’d think. Nor do I expect them to have people reading these forums. 

The ‘patch’ needs to come from YouTube on their servers. The best Sonos can do is take what information is provided to them. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

It’s still up to Youtube, so asking here in the Sonos forums doesn’t get that nail hit on the head as it should. Assuming you’re paying for a YouTube account, have you contacted them directly? They’re much more likely to listen to a paying customer than they are to Sonos, I’d think. Nor do I expect them to have people reading these forums. 

The ‘patch’ needs to come from YouTube on their servers. The best Sonos can do is take what information is provided to them. 

Well - I was trying to make a pun on the word ‘patch’ there.  Had to try… ;)

However, you are correct, I think.  I’ve reached out to the YTM folks to see if they have insights.  It’s hard to push this stuff uphill though as a consumer (even a paying one).

Would love insight into where the issue stands wrt resolution.  Whether the cause/effort sits on the YTM side or the Sonos side is irrelevant to the end user - since the user cannot fix it directly. he/she just needs to know who’s responsible for coordinating the resolution, and wants feedback as to the progress…

Fingers are crossed.  Eyes too.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

This is getting more than frustrating, 3 out of 5 songs are skipping, its a horrible user experience.

I’d like to know if this is a SONOS or a YT issue, since we don’t seem to be getting anywhere here.

If it’s a YT issue, please provide some details and I will raise on their side too, and we can all upvote and moan at them instead.

Userlevel 1
Badge

This is getting more than frustrating, 3 out of 5 songs are skipping, its a horrible user experience.

I’d like to know if this is a SONOS or a YT issue, since we don’t seem to be getting anywhere here.

If it’s a YT issue, please provide some details and I will raise on their side too, and we can all upvote and moan at them instead.

I agree.  FWIW, I contacted YTM support, and their advice was to reboot my computer.  (of course).

Maybe someone at Sonos can get better traction with them.

From what I recall, Sonos provides the API, and music providers are responsible for leveraging it and registering the service.  (In fact, I’ve reached out to other content providers to encourage them to enlist with Sonos...).  However, when it breaks, it’s frustrating for us paying subscribers…

Fingers crossed.

Fwiw, me too.

Same problem in Austria

Userlevel 1
Badge

So… in a shocking development, YTM support told me I need to take this up with the Sonos folks.

Oh well.  Hopefully we hear some news from the Sonos people…

Just came here to say this is STILL AN ISSUE. Also using Spotify free in the meantime. Please can somebody fix it. YouTube Music is the perfect solution for us because we watch a lot of YouTube so enjoy the ad free benefits while watching on our smart TV. Please fix!

The issue should be resolved, if everyone has updated their Sonos system to v11.1.