Answered

YouTube Music skipping tracks due to song not being encoded properly

• 1 February 2020
  • 82 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

I keep getting this error randomly, after X seconds of playing a track. The same track will sometimes play through without error, so clearly its nothing to do with encoding since its intermittent.  Very frustrating since all I play is from YouTube Music.  Diagnostic 291296562.

icon

Best answer by Ryan S 1 May 2020, 19:19

View original

82 replies

Exactly the same problem here, very frustrating. Even using YouTube Premium , I had to get Apple Music to be able to stream Music on SONOS. What a shame.

Everything except YouTube Music is working perfect.

Still have this issue more than a year later - Sonos is just a boat anchor. Shame on Sonos for not resolving this issue. They merely blame YouTube Music instead of fixing the problem on their end. Frankly all was fine until Sonos quit having an iOS app that allowed streaming from iPhone music.

Got the same issue here as well, happens on Sonos and uploaded music on Youtube Music. I think this issue is in the same ballpark as this one: Youtube Music fast forward error | Sonos Community

I would suggest Sonos start troubleshooting their software and integrations a bit harder instead of putting out new products on the rate they do, issues that are ongoing for months (or even years) are not acceptable imho.

I keep experiencing this issue as well, more or less often but quite constantly. As far as I can tell it only happens with YouTube Music and can be reproduced pretty easily as the error seems to occur within the same songs at pretty much the same timestamp when restarting said tracks or readding them to the queue.

Just happened again, so I submitted a diagnostic report. Reference code is 1395870253

This is still an ongoing issue, it is very frustrating. It only happens with Youtube Music on Sonos. We have Spotify and that has no issues, nor does Youtube Music have any issues with playback on any other devices (Car, Phone, PC etc)

I have submitted diagnostics 2125275180 

This needs resolving, it is ruining YOUR product. 

OMG this is so frustrating. I’ve been dealing with this for a year now. Both my Sonos devices are wired directly to router and nothing skips, pauses, stops after xxx seconds. Only Youtube. I know it’s difficult trying to pressure Google, but please try!

Userlevel 3
Badge

Same issue here and it’s been a problem for some time. Would be good to get a reliable resolution to this.

Same here in the Netherlands.

Observed pattern

• only with songs from YT Music (after migration from Play Music)
  • approx after 1 minute I get the prompt with the encoding issue
  • every song stops after 03:12 and skips to the next in the playlist
  • I have an S2 setup, no bridge anymore, no wired connections
  • only 1 router/AP
  • I previously noticed that I have one old Play 3 and 3 newer Play 3's in my setup

This is exactly my setup and the same issue I'm having. I'd love someone from Sonos to address this issue.

Any updates on this issue? I'm on the latest software version and keep getting it too. Every track (of uploaded music) plays for a few mins then skips to the next one. It's incredibly annoying. Thanks! Chris

I am having this issue all of a sudden now as well (was not having this problem 2 weeks ago, nothing changed on my side- all services except YTM work fine).  Am on latest version of S2.

Tried it on Apple device and android and same problem -seems to be YTM issue again.  

Any updates on this?

Thanks

Same here in the Netherlands.

Observed pattern

• only with songs from YT Music (after migration from Play Music)
  • approx after 1 minute I get the prompt with the encoding issue
  • every song stops after 03:12 and skips to the next in the playlist
  • I have an S2 setup, no bridge anymore, no wired connections
  • only 1 router/AP
  • I previously noticed that I have one old Play 3 and 3 newer Play 3's in my setup

Hi Everyone,

Exact same issue and it is a real pain! Sometimes even normal music just not play on sonos systems, especially the Sonos Beam which is looking more affected by the issue than other sonos models.

When are we going to have a fix for this long lasting issue ?

Rgds,

Fred

I have the same problem.  YouTube Music tracks (uploaded from iPhone to Google play and then to YouTube Music) show “song not encoded correctly and then cuts song short after about 2/3 of playing the song and skips to next song and does the same thing.  XM Radio, Spotify play fine thru Sonos.  Songs play fine directly from iPhone speakers.

Wish Sonos would bring back an app capable of playing songs from iPhone.

I just started having this issues this weekend, anybody else?

Same issue here.  YouTube skipping tracks :( - Australia, tried on three different phones same issue

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I've had the same with Mixcloud, can't be an encoding error (as reported) as it's same song that's been played many times before..

I have the same issue on youtube music. I just spent an hour on chat 02343670. I get encoding error and about 20 seconds later it skips to the next song. I rebooted everything no change. I also can't fast forward on youtube music.

Userlevel 2

Same issue here with uploaded tracks in YouTube music.

I wanted to play a particular YouTube video on Sonos, but since it doesn’t support Google Cast, I did the following:

1. Use one of those YouTube downloader sites to extracted the audio. (I tried it with both with MP3 and M4A.) This is a 40 minute long audio file.
  2. Upload the track to YT Music.
  3. Start playing the track on Sonos One SL.
  4. Trying to seek around just causes the stream to stop playing and seize up, and I eventually get the encoding error. Very frustrating.
  5. Other normal songs on YT Music (not uploaded) seek around without error.

These long 40 minute tracks are sleep / bedtime audio that I like to play. I want the audio quality of Sonos instead of my old bluetooth speaker. But they make it so incredibly difficult to play the audio I want to play on this speaker that I’m not inclined to buy another one for the bedroom.

Why the heck doesn’t Sonos even support Google Cast? I wouldn’t have to jump through all these hoops otherwise.

Badge

Same encoded error and skipping on tracks on Youtube Music on uploaded tracks transfer from Play Music. I don't have this problem with the same tracks played with Google Music or when using any other service on Sonos.

Yep, same here in the Netherlands.

Hello there. 

I’m using YouTube music for a few days now, trying to forget about Google play music (sigh) and I have this issue too. 

Often : a complete loss of connection to the service (while connection is good and the youtube music android app works fine)

Randomly : the message “song not encoded properly”

Like every 10 songs or so : a “scrouiitch” in the stream, very brief, very high tone. 

version 11.2.3. Located in France.

Diagnostic id #1105175534

Same problem over here in the Netherlands, specifically on uploaded tracks (I don't know any other service that connects to Sonos and can play uploaded tracks, therefore i still use YTM).

My version is 11.2.3, so i reckon that the version is not the issue…

Hoping for a solution.

This is an old thread, but I’m experiencing this issue as well. No youtube music song plays to completion due to the encoding error.  I just submitted a diagnostic.  561527646

Userlevel 1
Badge

The issue should be resolved, if everyone has updated their Sonos system to v11.1.

I hadn’t seen any mention of this in the release notes, so hadn’t tried.

However - so far, so good.  This is fantastic.  I will keep my fingers crossed, and hope the good results continue.

(If any issues, I’ll reach out)

Seriously - THANK YOU.

Badge

was yesterday. But I can’t do one right now. Will do later