Answered

YouTube Music not listing full library

• 13 August 2020
  • 87 replies

Userlevel 2

Hi,

I’ve recently switched over to YouTube music as Google are closing Play Music but an having issues accessing my full library through the Sonos Desktop or Mobile app. Both the Artist & Albums listings are truncated. When I access them as follows:

YouTube Music →  Library → Albums → Uploads (only lists down to albums starting with ‘R’, everything after unavailable.)

YouTube Music →  Library → Artists → Uploads (only lists down to artists starting with ‘J’, everything after unavailable.)

Does anyone else have this issue? Anything I can do to get Sonos to let me browse my Full Catalog again like I could with Play Music?

Cheers!

icon

Best answer by Xander P 10 February 2021, 17:35

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

87 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

guy b - you can play them on Sonos but you have to search for them.  They are there even though they are not listed in your library.

An update to my last post:  I finally spoke to someone higher up at Sonos, and he explained that, contrary to what the Sonos and YTM tech support people told me, the issue is with YTM.  Sonos merely “reads” the data provided by the music provider, so there is an issue with YTM not feeding the correct information to Sonos.  He also told me that he doubts YTM is prioritizing resolving this issue since it probably affects only a small number of users.  He encouraged me to keep complaining to YTM.  I emailed them a couple times but never heard back.

EVEN WORSE, I found out that eventually YTM will *require* you to pay for a premium subscription (more than $12/month!) just to listen to your own music on your own speakers!  To me, this was unconscionable.  So I quit YTM.

Fortunately, I found iBroadcast, which provides a free cloud-based storage locker service that is both very easy to use and, more importantly, compatible with Sonos.  I would encourage folks to check it out if you’re only looking for a place to store and play your own music.  So far I’m really happy with it. 

Userlevel 2

Incredibly, this seems to have gotten worse in the past couple of days and i’m now only getting the top 50 or so albums listed?

I’m failing to see how this is a workable solution moving forwards. Such a disappointment as GPM has been working perfectly for me for years!

This is happening for me too. I'm guessing the problem is a function of the size of the upload library since mine stops at "B" in the artist list. I submitted a support request to YTM. I guess we just have to wait for the Google and Sonos engineers to figure out the APIs.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I also recently transferred my Google Play Music library to YouTube Music and I’m having similar issues. My artist library stops at B when I browse it but all my music is searchable. Also when I fast forward any song it freezes everything and goes silent. Very frustrating. I have opened a ticket with YouTube Music too.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @Rob E, welcome to the Sonos Community, and thanks for the assistance, @controlav! We greatly appreciate you being a part of the Sonos family. It is our pleasure.

Just to let you know that yes, some of the customers state that they are unable to see all of their uploaded music within YouTubeMusic on Sonos. Customers who recently migrated from Google Play Music to Youtube Music will likely notice this acutely. Below are the workarounds that we can provide for now.

1. Customers can still search for and play their uploaded content.
  2. Customers can still add search results to My Sonos / Favourites

And we have reported the issue to YouTube Music. We encourage the customers to report the issue to Youtube Music also. 

We’ll keep you posted here once we have an available update for you. 

Please let us know if there’s anything else we can help you with. We and the community are always here.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi everyone, just to keep you all updated:

YouTube Music have increased the container size (i.e. how many Artists/Albums/Tracks will appear in the list) from 99, to 999 - which should for most people resolve this issue.
For those of you with larger libraries, you may still find that there are some results at the end which will not be shown - for these you can continue to use the Search function as previously, and it may be worth reaching out to YouTube Music again if this continues to be an issue.

If you have not noticed more results being shown under YouTube Music in the Sonos app, it may be worth removing and then re-adding the account to your system.

Remove a Music Service account

Add a Music Service to Sonos

I've had my SONOS One for a few months and have had very few problems. I have primarily played my music library through Google play music playlists. Now that Google play is going away, I moved my library over to YouTube music. But now, songs will start playing, then at some point they stop and it skips to the next song. Thats when I get the "not encoded correctly" error message. It has happened on every single song I've tried. It also happens if you try to scroll to a certain point in the song. This problem started immediately when I switched to YouTube music.

This speaker is completely useless in this condition. 

I've read the other posts on this topic, but they don't seem to apply to my situation. 

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Diagnostics Confirmation #679235385

I think it’s unlikely that the problem resides in Sonos.  If you have both Sonos2 and Android Auto, you will see that the exact same problem occurs with both.  So that strongly suggests that the issue lies with whatever YTM “hands off” to all other apps.  Since Google owns both YTM and AA, a solution is more likely to be found by complaining through AA.  I will do that, but I don’t hold out much hope.

I agree with whoever (above) suggested logging a ticket with Google support, rather than chatting with google experts etc online.  I think what happens with front line support staff (at Google, Sonos, and others) is that they are obliged to follow standard help “scripts”, which may or may not be applicable to the problem at hand.  Sonos users who have been led to try various solutions for this particular problem (reinstall, etc) are, to my mind, either victims of standard help scripts, or, perhaps, speculation on the part of the support staff.  Either way, users are understandably frustrated.

As for “workarounds”, in Sonos, I have found (as others have) that even though not all YTM artists and albums will display while browsing, a search will indeed find the item you want.  It’s a pain, but at least the music is available.  

Problem there is, if you can’t remember exactly what you are looking for, you can’t search for it, and, if other family members are less tech savvy, they can’t find anything after the letter B (or in my case, F).

However, and as unsatisfying as this conclusion may be, I don’t think we can fairly blame Sonos for these problems.  The fact that the same thing happens with other apps that rely on YTM means that this must be the fault of YTM.

Solved it for myself. Got rid of YTM subscription.…

Subscribed for Deezer HIFI, lossless audio, and cheaper. Sounds amazing!! No bugs encountered, clean app interface.

Can't cast to Sonos, but Deezer so far plays well with Sonos app and syncs instantly, so i'm happy. 

Bye YTM

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Same here.  Cancelled YTM, now using iBroadcast, Plex and Spotify.

I acknowledge that most of the issues are likely due to YTM, but there are a couple of Sonos issues, such as when my AMP crashed hard after fast forwarding in YTM.  Totally reproducible.

What would have been nice is if Sonos front line support did not insist on the problem being packet loss on my Internet connection.  My own measurements indicate that this is not a problem and Sonos works fine with all services other than YTM.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I have problem with my YT i don't know if its being mention on the above thread. I'm  having problem finding the 'Top song' option when clicking certain artist in the Sonos app itselt but if I use the YT app the 'Top song' option is there. Should Sonos can fix this issue or YT?

YT need to add it to their ever increasing list of things to fix. Sonos play the music, but have nothing to do with the enumeration of it from services.

Besides not transferring but 99 YT playlists, and transferring only music through the Bs. Too, I can’t figure out how to search my music though folks have indicated you can search for your music. WTF!! Google Play Music could do all of this seamlessly so what’s up Sonos. Sonos says it’s YTM’s fault, YTM says it Sonos’s fault. Just get together and FIX IT ASAP!!!

Just set YouTube music up on my Sonos today following the shutdown of Google Play.  Found as others have done that there would appear to be some pagination issue in that the Sonos app only shows the first 100 albums or 100 artists.  Other artists and albums are all there, but the list display is bugged.

(I won’t even begin to comment on the sheer appallingness of a so-called music service that won’t let you display music by genre, or by albums for an artist.)

Would it be terribly much of an ask for Sonos as a commercial company to tell Google that their interface doesn’t work?  Or failing that to at least tell their users that that service does not currently work properly?

Userlevel 1
Badge

You all are wasting your time, YTM has no interest in resolving this issue.  Switch to iBroadcast!!!  

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Another frustrated user experiencing the same limits of accessing full YTM library.  Can someone help clarify how you can use iBroadcast on Sonos?  I don’t see it listed among the list of Available services when I go to add a new service.  

Thank you!

I see it in my available list of services. There’s a search/filter at the top of the services page too that you can type iBroadcast in and it comes right up. I’m using Apple iOS. Maybe if you’re using Android it’s different. 

I have exactly the same problem. I only see my albums that have a track that starts with the letter A to D. My workaround was to subscribe to Spotify, transfer all my music and give up YT Music. If I could go back in time, I wouldn't invest $4000 in a sound system that depends on the cloud to work properly. In my opinion, it's Sonos' responsibility to ensure good integrations with the different partners, because in the end, it's the Sonos experience that is degraded by poor software quality from the music service providers.

Hi,

I’ve recently switched over to YouTube music as Google are closing Play Music but an having issues accessing my full library through the Sonos Desktop or Mobile app. Both the Artist & Albums listings are truncated. When I access them as follows:

YouTube Music →  Library → Albums → Uploads (only lists down to albums starting with ‘R’, everything after unavailable.)

YouTube Music →  Library → Artists → Uploads (only lists down to artists starting with ‘J’, everything after unavailable.)

Does anyone else have this issue? Anything I can do to get Sonos to let me browse my Full Catalog again like I could with Play Music?

Cheers!

I would think Sonos would work with Google/YTM for a solution if they want people to continue to buy their products 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

So far it’s been over a week and YouTube Music customer support has done nothing. Today they asked me to update their app and try again. Of course it did not fix anything. I’m not optimistic about the google to YouTube transition, especially when google music worked flawlessly for me. 

Sonos is completely disinterested in support it’s customers 

This yet another example

they are only interested in selling more hardware 

pathetic company which has never properly resolved playing your own music via sonos

i call BS on this. Sonos support over 60 different music services, all over the world. No other music system comes even close to that level of support or flexibility. The fact that some music services care more about their Sonos integrations more than others is sad but true.

You have a huge choice of music services, go try another one. Unhappy YTM customers seem to be liking iBroadcast. Trusting your music to an ad company isn’t really a the best idea.

I had no idea other choices were available.   Just my lack of knowledge.   Glad I found out here.  IBroadcast works great.   Hopefully it remains free. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi folks. Just to let you know that this issue has been reported to our partner and we’re waiting for their response. We’ll keep you all posted here. Thank you for your patience and understanding. 

We and the community are always here to help.

speaking to some YTM support folks (through the link further up this page), the best way to get a message to anyone involved in the dev teams for YTM is to submit feedback through the various youtube music apps. that’s more likely to get raised as a ticket, all the web chat support people can do is walk you through some troubleshooting.

if we all did that then it might bump it up the list a bit.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Before I could only see artists up to “B”. Now I can see artists up through “N”. Getting better YTM, but still not ready for prime time. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I contacted (via chat) both YTM and Sonos about 10 days ago to report the issue with Sonos not showing my full YTM library.  YTM insisted that the issue was with Sonos and would not help me.  Sonos said the problem was with the S1 controller app and told me upgrade to the S2 controller app.  However, that app is not compatible with one of my speakers, so I cannot upgrade.  Sonos said that it would work on the problem and get back to me.  I still have not heard back.

Sonos is fibbing -- I have the same issue with both S1 and S2. I’ve successfully split my system and the problem is just as bad on S2.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Is Sonos telling me that now I have to subscribe to YouTube Music in order to play my personally owned music that used to be free on Google Play Music? This is getting really frustrating. 

No, it is Google who are telling you that they are shutting down their free service, as it makes them no advertising money, and want you to pay to use their servers. No free lunches, any more.

I guess it’s time I leave GPM and YTM to invest in my own storage..

@Krishma M and Sonos team -- have same issue as vito72, any long tracks played from YT Music upload library on Sonos stop at around 12 minutes and skip to next. As noted, cannot start a track in the middle. This is not a problem for many, but a big issue for classical music (long tracks). Would be great to get an update when you have one!