Answered

YouTube Music not listing full library

• 13 August 2020
  • 87 replies

Userlevel 2

Hi,

I’ve recently switched over to YouTube music as Google are closing Play Music but an having issues accessing my full library through the Sonos Desktop or Mobile app. Both the Artist & Albums listings are truncated. When I access them as follows:

YouTube Music →  Library → Albums → Uploads (only lists down to albums starting with ‘R’, everything after unavailable.)

YouTube Music →  Library → Artists → Uploads (only lists down to artists starting with ‘J’, everything after unavailable.)

Does anyone else have this issue? Anything I can do to get Sonos to let me browse my Full Catalog again like I could with Play Music?

Cheers!

icon

Best answer by Xander P 10 February 2021, 17:35

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

87 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I contacted YTM again (for the 300th time) and of course they say that they are still unable to reproduce the issue and there are no plans to expand the container size again. In the others, they really don’t care. My ticket has been open for nearly a year and I get the same unhelpful, canned responses each time I ask for an update, which I do monthly. 

Sonos - Are you reading this? Don’t you care how your providers treat YOUR customers?

Thank you DCgal -iBroadcast works like a charm. And the company says the unlimited free library space will remain free forever. Perfect. 

I’m gonna give iBroadcast a try, but I gotta laugh - the termination of a free storage service is what got us all into this mess :-)  I’ll believe “forever” when it lasts more than a few years :-)

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Now the only option I see is Albums. Great. Thanks YTM, it’s worse now. Wow talk about a terrible product to be hosted on Sonos. Please just give us back Google Play Music. 

Sonos - Do yourself a favor and help out YTM or better yet set higher/stricter standards for your music providers. YTM is full of bugs and it reflects on your product. 

I would absolutely second this. I believe Sonos should demand a certain basic level of compliance standards for any specific music service to work with their system.

This should include displaying the full library (pretty basic), along with other basic requirements. Another annoyance with YTM is it won’t let you add your library to “My Sonos”! 

Organizing albums by artist is another bugbear of mine which the Sonos app doesn’t do (but most of the respective music apps do). 

The only folks who could answer that intelligently are the engineers at Google/YouTube music. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Any word on if they will increasing from 999 limit? I think most people probably have over 999 songs. Or is it just some people who have the limit issue? Are there people that can view entire libraries beyond 999?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

999 results is not enough. I need to browse through all my albums. Thanks Google.

Its laughable huh:

Bug report: we have a limit of 99 albums.

Google developer: fixed it! Limit is 999 now.

I’ve been dealing with other issues with the YTM integration, eg “give me the first 100 tracks of a playlist” and it responds by returning all 300 and blowing the buffer size. Sigh.

I think the YTM SMAPI service was written by a high school intern last year, who is back at school now. The server is running under their old, pre-Covid desk in Mountain View and has been forgotten by everyone.

999 results is not enough. I need to browse through all my albums. Thanks Google.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Before I could only see artists up to “B”. Now I can see artists up through “N”. Getting better YTM, but still not ready for prime time. 

Worked for me (Yay!).  I never looked to see if was somehow fixed by itself; I immediately followed the advice to remove and add the service, and now everything is there.

What are the chances that YTM did for Google’s own Android Auto the very same “increase in container size”..??  That’d be nice…

Userlevel 2

For anyone else with the uploads problem, I got sick of waiting for Google to fix this so moved over to use IBroadcast a while back and it works great!

YTM is a horrible product, such a shame they killed GPM as it was great for years!

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Now the only option I see is Albums. Great. Thanks YTM, it’s worse now. Wow talk about a terrible product to be hosted on Sonos. Please just give us back Google Play Music. 

Sonos - Do yourself a favor and help out YTM or better yet set higher/stricter standards for your music providers. YTM is full of bugs and it reflects on your product. 

Userlevel 2

Just tried this and now I can’t seem to access my ‘Uploads’ anymore?

When I click any sections (Albums, Artists, etc) the ‘Uploads’ button has been removed?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I only see Playlists now. Removed and re-added. (I don't use it anyway though)

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi everyone, just to keep you all updated:

YouTube Music have increased the container size (i.e. how many Artists/Albums/Tracks will appear in the list) from 99, to 999 - which should for most people resolve this issue.
For those of you with larger libraries, you may still find that there are some results at the end which will not be shown - for these you can continue to use the Search function as previously, and it may be worth reaching out to YouTube Music again if this continues to be an issue.

If you have not noticed more results being shown under YouTube Music in the Sonos app, it may be worth removing and then re-adding the account to your system.

Remove a Music Service account

Add a Music Service to Sonos

I've had my SONOS One for a few months and have had very few problems. I have primarily played my music library through Google play music playlists. Now that Google play is going away, I moved my library over to YouTube music. But now, songs will start playing, then at some point they stop and it skips to the next song. Thats when I get the "not encoded correctly" error message. It has happened on every single song I've tried. It also happens if you try to scroll to a certain point in the song. This problem started immediately when I switched to YouTube music.

This speaker is completely useless in this condition. 

I've read the other posts on this topic, but they don't seem to apply to my situation. 

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Diagnostics Confirmation #679235385

Unfortunately I have been experiencing the same issues.  The most frustrating one is when a track plays for a good amount of time and then suddenly throws an error code and jumps to the next track.  If I have cross fade on it will cross fade extremely early.  When I use youtube music outside of sonos the tracks work perfectly.  Sonos is aware of the issue and is working at it, though not as quickly as I would like.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Same here.  Cancelled YTM, now using iBroadcast, Plex and Spotify.

I acknowledge that most of the issues are likely due to YTM, but there are a couple of Sonos issues, such as when my AMP crashed hard after fast forwarding in YTM.  Totally reproducible.

What would have been nice is if Sonos front line support did not insist on the problem being packet loss on my Internet connection.  My own measurements indicate that this is not a problem and Sonos works fine with all services other than YTM.

Solved it for myself. Got rid of YTM subscription.…

Subscribed for Deezer HIFI, lossless audio, and cheaper. Sounds amazing!! No bugs encountered, clean app interface.

Can't cast to Sonos, but Deezer so far plays well with Sonos app and syncs instantly, so i'm happy. 

Bye YTM

I have exactly the same problem. I only see my albums that have a track that starts with the letter A to D. My workaround was to subscribe to Spotify, transfer all my music and give up YT Music. If I could go back in time, I wouldn't invest $4000 in a sound system that depends on the cloud to work properly. In my opinion, it's Sonos' responsibility to ensure good integrations with the different partners, because in the end, it's the Sonos experience that is degraded by poor software quality from the music service providers.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

It’s been over 4 months since I reported this issue to YTM and nothing has been resolved. Half the time they don’t even respond when I email them asking for an update. Anyone think they actually care about this? I don’t. Oh well, I guess YTM is losing another customer. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I opened up my YTM ticket for this issue a couple of months ago and haven’t had an update in weeks. I followed up with YTM a few days ago just asking for a update... still no response from YTM. It is obvious now, YTM does not care about this issue and Sonos is doing nothing to force their hand. Shame on both companies. 

I want to follow this thread as I am having the same issue you are all reporting with Google Music moving to YT Music and losing the ability to see my whole music collection on Sonos. I cannot find this music through the search bar either. I only see A through B on albums.

As I have started to use Tidal on Sonos, I’ve realized as with YTM that the artist and album section of my collection can not be alphabetized - is that an issue Sonos knows about, and if so, is Sonos looking for a solution?  The non-alphabetical listing in YTM is one reason I can not tolerate using it on Sonos.

I had the same issue using YTM with Sonos, but I found that (as in my post 40 minutes ago) in that instance the solution was to be found in YTM.  After I saw that everything was all out of order in Sonos2, I looked for settings to change the order, and found none in Sonos.  So then I went back to YTM and discovered that it also was out of order.  Finally (on my phone) I noticed that in any list (albums, artists or songs), there was a little tab at the top left corner above the first item in the long  list.  It seems the default was “recently added”, but if you click on the little down-arrow, it lets you sort them A-Z or Z-A.

I did that for all three options - artists, albums and songs, and then YTM finally was ordered sensibly (for me.  For non uploaded items, I left the default at recently added, e.g., other non-uploaded songs that I had “liked”)

I don’t know if I had to restart Sonos or not to make this work, but to be sure, I did anyway:  I turned off sonos on my android device, turned it back on, and then Sonos showed all my stuff in the same alphabetical order that I had on YTM (up to the letter F, that is :-)

I think it’s unlikely that the problem resides in Sonos.  If you have both Sonos2 and Android Auto, you will see that the exact same problem occurs with both.  So that strongly suggests that the issue lies with whatever YTM “hands off” to all other apps.  Since Google owns both YTM and AA, a solution is more likely to be found by complaining through AA.  I will do that, but I don’t hold out much hope.

I agree with whoever (above) suggested logging a ticket with Google support, rather than chatting with google experts etc online.  I think what happens with front line support staff (at Google, Sonos, and others) is that they are obliged to follow standard help “scripts”, which may or may not be applicable to the problem at hand.  Sonos users who have been led to try various solutions for this particular problem (reinstall, etc) are, to my mind, either victims of standard help scripts, or, perhaps, speculation on the part of the support staff.  Either way, users are understandably frustrated.

As for “workarounds”, in Sonos, I have found (as others have) that even though not all YTM artists and albums will display while browsing, a search will indeed find the item you want.  It’s a pain, but at least the music is available.  

Problem there is, if you can’t remember exactly what you are looking for, you can’t search for it, and, if other family members are less tech savvy, they can’t find anything after the letter B (or in my case, F).

However, and as unsatisfying as this conclusion may be, I don’t think we can fairly blame Sonos for these problems.  The fact that the same thing happens with other apps that rely on YTM means that this must be the fault of YTM.

Just another frustrated user here.  Google Play Music worked fine.  Youtube Music is just terrible, for all the reasons outlined above.  It’s slow and extremely buggy.

Badge

As I have started to use Tidal on Sonos, I’ve realized as with YTM that the artist and album section of my collection can not be alphabetized - is that an issue Sonos knows about, and if so, is Sonos looking for a solution?  The non-alphabetical listing in YTM is one reason I can not tolerate using it on Sonos.