Answered

YouTube Music not listing full library

• 13 August 2020
  • 87 replies

Userlevel 2

Hi,

I’ve recently switched over to YouTube music as Google are closing Play Music but an having issues accessing my full library through the Sonos Desktop or Mobile app. Both the Artist & Albums listings are truncated. When I access them as follows:

YouTube Music →  Library → Albums → Uploads (only lists down to albums starting with ‘R’, everything after unavailable.)

YouTube Music →  Library → Artists → Uploads (only lists down to artists starting with ‘J’, everything after unavailable.)

Does anyone else have this issue? Anything I can do to get Sonos to let me browse my Full Catalog again like I could with Play Music?

Cheers!

icon

Best answer by Xander P 10 February 2021, 17:35

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

87 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

There are at least three threads on this YTM list-truncation bug. You need to contact Google to fix their SMAPI service. Good luck.

Userlevel 2

Incredibly, this seems to have gotten worse in the past couple of days and i’m now only getting the top 50 or so albums listed?

I’m failing to see how this is a workable solution moving forwards. Such a disappointment as GPM has been working perfectly for me for years!

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @Rob E, welcome to the Sonos Community, and thanks for the assistance, @controlav! We greatly appreciate you being a part of the Sonos family. It is our pleasure.

Just to let you know that yes, some of the customers state that they are unable to see all of their uploaded music within YouTubeMusic on Sonos. Customers who recently migrated from Google Play Music to Youtube Music will likely notice this acutely. Below are the workarounds that we can provide for now.

1. Customers can still search for and play their uploaded content.
  2. Customers can still add search results to My Sonos / Favourites

And we have reported the issue to YouTube Music. We encourage the customers to report the issue to Youtube Music also. 

We’ll keep you posted here once we have an available update for you. 

Please let us know if there’s anything else we can help you with. We and the community are always here.

I've had my SONOS One for a few months and have had very few problems. I have primarily played my music library through Google play music playlists. Now that Google play is going away, I moved my library over to YouTube music. But now, songs will start playing, then at some point they stop and it skips to the next song. Thats when I get the "not encoded correctly" error message. It has happened on every single song I've tried. It also happens if you try to scroll to a certain point in the song. This problem started immediately when I switched to YouTube music.

This speaker is completely useless in this condition. 

I've read the other posts on this topic, but they don't seem to apply to my situation. 

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Diagnostics Confirmation #679235385

This is happening for me too. I'm guessing the problem is a function of the size of the upload library since mine stops at "B" in the artist list. I submitted a support request to YTM. I guess we just have to wait for the Google and Sonos engineers to figure out the APIs.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I also recently transferred my Google Play Music library to YouTube Music and I’m having similar issues. My artist library stops at B when I browse it but all my music is searchable. Also when I fast forward any song it freezes everything and goes silent. Very frustrating. I have opened a ticket with YouTube Music too.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @vito72@adcroft and @a9979, welcome to the Sonos Community! Thank you for your understanding and patience. We greatly appreciate that you report it with YouTube as well. As promised, we’ll keep you posted here. 

About your case @vito72, yes it seems like a different problem but I'm thinking if it is still part of how it was moved based on the error message. Is it only happening to the songs you moved from Google Play Music? 

Just let us know. It is our pleasure. We and the community are always here to help.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

So far it’s been over a week and YouTube Music customer support has done nothing. Today they asked me to update their app and try again. Of course it did not fix anything. I’m not optimistic about the google to YouTube transition, especially when google music worked flawlessly for me. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

So now it says I must be a YouTube Music premium subscriber? All I want to do is play my own music that I used to play on a Google Play Music. Is Sonos telling me that now I have to subscribe to YouTube Music in order to play my personally owned music that used to be free on Google Play Music? This is getting really frustrating. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Is Sonos telling me that now I have to subscribe to YouTube Music in order to play my personally owned music that used to be free on Google Play Music? This is getting really frustrating. 

No, it is Google who are telling you that they are shutting down their free service, as it makes them no advertising money, and want you to pay to use their servers. No free lunches, any more.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Is Sonos telling me that now I have to subscribe to YouTube Music in order to play my personally owned music that used to be free on Google Play Music? This is getting really frustrating. 

No, it is Google who are telling you that they are shutting down their free service, as it makes them no advertising money, and want you to pay to use their servers. No free lunches, any more.

I guess it’s time I leave GPM and YTM to invest in my own storage..

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I've had my SONOS One for a few months and have had very few problems. I have primarily played my music library through Google play music playlists. Now that Google play is going away, I moved my library over to YouTube music. But now, songs will start playing, then at some point they stop and it skips to the next song. Thats when I get the "not encoded correctly" error message. It has happened on every single song I've tried. It also happens if you try to scroll to a certain point in the song. This problem started immediately when I switched to YouTube music.

This speaker is completely useless in this condition. 

I've read the other posts on this topic, but they don't seem to apply to my situation. 

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Diagnostics Confirmation #679235385

FWIW, I have experienced the same issue.  I cannot pause, fast forward or rewind.  There does not seem to be a fix at this time.  I started a thread on this but no concrete help so far.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I just received an email from a rep on the YTM and GPM team and was informed, very clearly, that a subscription should not be needed to access your own music through the uploads section of the YTM app, however they are having issues (as we know) and they are working through them. When fixed, we should have none of these issues on this thread. 

I have problem with my YT i don't know if its being mention on the above thread. I'm  having problem finding the 'Top song' option when clicking certain artist in the Sonos app itselt but if I use the YT app the 'Top song' option is there. Should Sonos can fix this issue or YT?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I have problem with my YT i don't know if its being mention on the above thread. I'm  having problem finding the 'Top song' option when clicking certain artist in the Sonos app itselt but if I use the YT app the 'Top song' option is there. Should Sonos can fix this issue or YT?

YT need to add it to their ever increasing list of things to fix. Sonos play the music, but have nothing to do with the enumeration of it from services.

Thanks a lot @controlav 

speaking to some YTM support folks (through the link further up this page), the best way to get a message to anyone involved in the dev teams for YTM is to submit feedback through the various youtube music apps. that’s more likely to get raised as a ticket, all the web chat support people can do is walk you through some troubleshooting.

if we all did that then it might bump it up the list a bit.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I contacted (via chat) both YTM and Sonos about 10 days ago to report the issue with Sonos not showing my full YTM library.  YTM insisted that the issue was with Sonos and would not help me.  Sonos said the problem was with the S1 controller app and told me upgrade to the S2 controller app.  However, that app is not compatible with one of my speakers, so I cannot upgrade.  Sonos said that it would work on the problem and get back to me.  I still have not heard back.

i have the same problem,

i migrated from gpm to youtube premium and it only llists albums up to F contacted sonos and was told to wait for an update...now worried that when gpm goes that i will lose all my files.

Not a very good transition

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

now worried that when gpm goes that i will lose all my files

Surely you can verify your files are in YTM via some non-Sonos means, eg the YTM app itself?

Yes I do have the files in my youtube account,but I still can't  play them through sonos which is really frustrating...sonos software really does leave alot to be desired..

Userlevel 1
Badge

guy b - you can play them on Sonos but you have to search for them.  They are there even though they are not listed in your library.

An update to my last post:  I finally spoke to someone higher up at Sonos, and he explained that, contrary to what the Sonos and YTM tech support people told me, the issue is with YTM.  Sonos merely “reads” the data provided by the music provider, so there is an issue with YTM not feeding the correct information to Sonos.  He also told me that he doubts YTM is prioritizing resolving this issue since it probably affects only a small number of users.  He encouraged me to keep complaining to YTM.  I emailed them a couple times but never heard back.

EVEN WORSE, I found out that eventually YTM will *require* you to pay for a premium subscription (more than $12/month!) just to listen to your own music on your own speakers!  To me, this was unconscionable.  So I quit YTM.

Fortunately, I found iBroadcast, which provides a free cloud-based storage locker service that is both very easy to use and, more importantly, compatible with Sonos.  I would encourage folks to check it out if you’re only looking for a place to store and play your own music.  So far I’m really happy with it. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Thank you DCgal -iBroadcast works like a charm. And the company says the unlimited free library space will remain free forever. Perfect. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I contacted (via chat) both YTM and Sonos about 10 days ago to report the issue with Sonos not showing my full YTM library.  YTM insisted that the issue was with Sonos and would not help me.  Sonos said the problem was with the S1 controller app and told me upgrade to the S2 controller app.  However, that app is not compatible with one of my speakers, so I cannot upgrade.  Sonos said that it would work on the problem and get back to me.  I still have not heard back.

Sonos is fibbing -- I have the same issue with both S1 and S2. I’ve successfully split my system and the problem is just as bad on S2.

I am having the same issue. It is showing albums and artists but the song library is not showing. Please help this is annoying!