xfinity remote suddenly does not adjust sound to Playbar from 10ft away

• 23 November 2020
  • 3 replies

I have had a 5.1 sonos play at system setup for over 2 years in the same room with the same tv. I have had it setup vertical with the sonos logo facing straight out and been unsung it with no issues. I woke up yesterday and went to adjust the volume while sitting on my couch and it stopped working. My couch is about 10-12 ft away my TV / Sonos setup. i figured it was the remote and switched out batteries, i went back and tried again and still no volume control with the xfinity remote. I got closer (probably about 3ft from TV / Sonos) and the volume started working again. I figured this was a remote issue so i went to my local Comcast store and switched out the remote for a new one. I came home and sat on the couch and tried again and still not working. I git up close again (3ft) and it started working. I called customer support and they had me unplug the system and re-pair the remote and still the same issue. I also noticed that after i unplugged the system and replied it in now the white led on the bar which usually blinks or responds when the volume is pressed on the remote is no longer blinking in response. Finally i took the playbar and turned it on its side so now the Sonos logo is shooting straight up and sat on the couch and now it can be controlled again by the remote. The other led light while looking at it from the side is now lighting up and responding when i depress the volume control. I thought maybe this was a fluke and went and turned the playbar back to vertical and no response from the couch. So now i am using the playbar from the horizontal position but felt like i got better sound while it was in its verticals set up. Anyone have any similar experience and know any way to fix?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Here is what it looks like

The same exact thing just started happening to us. Did you find a more reasonable, permanent solution?

I don’t currently have a PLAYBAR in my system. Have you recently updated the system? Are you using S1 or S2?

There are sensors in PLAYBAR so that it knows which side is up. Depending on which side is up, one or the other IR sensor will be used. It’s pure speculation on my part: A recent update may have inverted the sense of ‘this end up’, or the sensor has failed. If this is a new software issue, I expect that there will be a sudden long list of similar complaints, but I doubt that many users will notice the change in orientation ‘fix’. Another possibility is that the sensor has failed and the unit no longer knows which side is up. If this is a sensor failure it is probable that only a fraction of users will experience this. Have you proved that both PLAYBAR IR sensors work?

Another possibility is that there has been a change in the ambient light situation and something is now throwing infrared energy onto PLAYBAR. You could explore using objects to cast shadows on PLAYBAR. Unrelated to PLAYBAR I once noticed that if I stood in a certain spot at certain times of day, IR commands worked better. There was an issue with sunlight and the wall facing the IR sensor. My body blocked this energy.