Xbox Series X + LG C1 + Sonos Arc

• 18 March 2022
  • 6 replies

Hello , 

I recently added the sonos arc to my TV setup. Below is how I have it hooked up 
Xbox Series X to LG C1 HDMI 3 
Sonos Arc to LG C1 HDMI 2 (e-arc) 

The Sonos Arc seems to detect the right Audio Codecs for Apps that Run Native on WebOS. For e.g. If I play something that is Dolby Atmos on Netflix & I check the Audio-In information on the Sonos S2 App, It tells me it is Dolby Atmos (DD+). Similarly if I Play 5.1 it tell me that it is Dolby Digital 5.1, Or if I play the local news channel, it tells me that the Audio In is Stereo PCM 2.0 

I then tried to switch to Xbox and configure it to work correctly. This is what I did 
Settings > General > Volume & Audio Output > Speaker Audio > Dolby Atmos for Home Theater (HDMI) 
Then go to Advance > Audio options > Allow pass-through. 

I then tried to launch games that were Atmos supported (Halo Infinite / Gears 5) I can see the app display the correct codec for Audio In 
But when I launched a game that was not supported by Atmos, Sonos still tells me that Audio-In is Dolby Digital 

Another test was on the Xbox Plex app, I tried to stream non atmos content, but Sonos still told me that audio in was Atmos. 

Why does Sonos not detect the correct Audio Codecs coming from my Xbox? 

Thanks 

6 replies

As an initial thought - might it be a case that you’re switching between audio sources on your X-Box, but not actually refreshing the ‘About Box’ in the Sonos controller App? - perhaps try exiting that screen completely  and return to it to see if the display changes/refreshes to reflect the correct codec being played as the Audio-In to your Arc.

As an initial thought - might it be a case that you’re switching between audio sources on your X-Box, but not actually refreshing the ‘About Box’ in the Sonos controller App? - perhaps try exiting that screen completely  and return to it to see if the display changes/refreshes to reflect the correct codec being played as the Audio-In to your Arc.

Thank you for your reply. I thought that was the case as well, however It still doesn’t show the right Audio-In information. Everything is Dolby Atmos (DD+) . 

Userlevel 7

@npotlacheruvu You need to adjust the audio settings on the Xbox based on what your source is. Use the Bitstream/Dolby Digital setting for Dolby Digital content. Use the Bitstream/Dolby Atmos setting for Dolby Atmos content. Use the 5.1 uncompressed setting for LPCM content.

@npotlacheruvu You need to adjust the audio settings on the Xbox based on what your source is. Use the Bitstream/Dolby Digital setting for Dolby Digital content. Use the Bitstream/Dolby Atmos setting for Dolby Atmos content. Use the 5.1 uncompressed setting for LPCM content.

hmm, I checked the Speaker Audio drop down, I do not see bitstream as an option, Only Dolby Digital & Dolby Atmos or Stereo Uncompressed as options. I know that this relates to Xbox and not sonos. But seems hard to believe that a next gen console doesn’t have an automatic audio coded detection like other apps like Netflix, Disney+ etc.. 

What happens if your source is not Atmos ? are there any cons for leaving Audio settings on Dolby Atmos & playing non atmos games/movies ? 

Userlevel 7

I forgot that they removed the Bitstream setting on the Xbox late last year.

Do you see a 5.1 or 7.1 uncompressed setting? If so, I would use this setting or Dolby Digital for all non-Atmos content.

If you leave the setting on Dolby Atmos, the Xbox will upmix everything to “Dolby Atmos” even though it obviously will not be real Dolby Atmos audio.

So there isn’t a correct setting to use. It’s up to you and what your personal preference is, and what sounds best to your ears. Some users like to keep it set to Dolby Atmos for everything. Some users adjust the setting depending on the content. I prefer the latter.

There is a specific Dolby Atmos app you need to download for Xbox to recognize it properly. It will encourage you to pay for a subscription, but that’s only required for headphones.