Worst system ever.....I HATE SONOS

Userlevel 1
why are their so many problems

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

29 replies

There are many of us who have rock solid systems for quite a long time, and would be more than willing to assist you in getting to this state. In fact, the majority of users of the system rarely have a problem. We seem the others here in these boards, and do out best to help out where we can.

Why not tell us about your issues, the system you have, and how it's connected? We'd be happy to give you pointers and suggestions that might ameliorate your problems.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Hi

Sorry to hear you are having trouble! All of us on the site LOVE Sonos and want to help you get the most out of your system! If you want help all you have to do is ask and tell us all about your problems and what Sonos gear you have. We are standing by.......
the majority of users of the system rarely have a problem
I agree; plus, many more that do, have problems that can fixed with the kind of help that has been offered. It does take some more effort than a six word post though.

Which effort is common to every wireless system out there, it is the nature of the tech involved at this point in time that makes it so.
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
I've found the Forum very very helpful if you detail your issues and list your devices etc connected to your system, but
"why are their so many problems". However I highly doubt anyone can assist you with your post.
This is without doubt the worst piece of technology I have ever used (tried to use). I have two Play 1 and a Play 2 that I would gladly sell. Any of you Sonos lovers interested?
This is without doubt the worst piece of technology I have ever used (tried to use). I have two Play 1 and a Play 2 that I would gladly sell. Any of you Sonos lovers interested?
Or you try and reboot your router followed by the Sonos units (in that order!). If you have any Wifi extenders, disconnect those beforehand temporarily.
Perhaps your problem is caused by having a Play 2, as there is no such thing.

Play 2? Nice try, but one should probably do more research before trolling. 😉
Sorry...Play 3.
I have rebooted the router, and reset the speakers. And reinstalled the app. The setup program finds the speaker, but ultimately fails to make the connection. I can see the speakers on my router. I have one plugged into the router, but it still fails to install. I can see it when it is connected via wifi, but setup fails to make the connection.
Sorry...Play 3.
I have rebooted the router, and reset the speakers. And reinstalled the app. The setup program finds the speaker, but ultimately fails to make the connection. I can see the speakers on my router. I have one plugged into the router, but it still fails to install. I can see it when it is connected via wifi, but setup fails to make the connection.

Submit a diagnostic and reply here with the confirmation number so that a technician can take a look into it.
I've gotta say that I'm also not in love with Sonos at the moment.
My partner is a technophobe and one of the reasons we made the (not inconsiderable) investment in Sonos was so we could have something that worked easily and without fuss. We have 2 x Play 5s and 1 x Play 3 which work OK in and of themselves, but find the system itself leaves a lot to be desired.
About a year ago the whole system first got a bit flaky - at about the same time Sonos said we had to upgrade the app on a couple of occasions. The upgrade process was annoying and having to turn off and restart the system bit-by-bit as requested was a pain - especially when there was no obvious end-user difference afterward except for a changed logo on the app. As I recall after completing the upgrades nothing would connect and I finished up uninstalling and reinstalling the app on both our phones, and then reconnecting the speakers to get it to work.
More recently (eight months later?) we have not been able to access Tunein on most mornings without rebooting our router manually. I have spent time with Sonos support in a bid to rectify this; their ultimate recommendation is to replace our Netgear D6200 as they reckon it is known by them to be flaky. TBH I find this puzzling as this router has worked fine with Sonos (and still does everything else we want with our home media etc.) UNTIL the Sonos upgrades happened.
We were very happy with Sonos two years ago; now I couldn't honestly recommend it because it does not work reliably. If it was a cheaper Aldi unit I would be more forgiving but surely we can expect a non-buggy system for the price?
Sonos is a network based system, so a stable network is a prerequisite for optimum performance. After the network refresh described below, pay special attention to the bolded and your system will remain stabilized.

Connection problems which appear suddenly are often caused by network problems, not Sonos problems. The typical cause is duplicate IP addresses. These often show up after an update or power outage because a reboot requires the device to request a new IP, and the router, having lost track of current IP assignments, issues a new IP that is in use by another device. To cure this, do the following:

Reboot/power cycle your devices in the following order:

Modem
Router
Switches or hubs
Wired Sonos units
Wireless Sonos units
Computers/printers
Wireless devices - phones/tablets etc.

Allow each device to come back up before proceeding to the next. Note that you can permanently prevent duplicate IP addresses by assigning an IP to each device's MAC address in the router setup. See your router manual for details.
Thanks for the tips jgatie. I am having some challenging issues with the sonos system at the moment detailed here (https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/changed-wifi-now-second-phone-controller-doesn-t-work-6788612/index1.html#post16147130) and I think you are onto something in terms of duplicate IP addresses. I have tried the power cycling regime you suggest. However, the wrinkle is that we are using google mesh wifi, and it is not immediately clear to me how to assign a specific IP to each device MAC address from the google wifi app (i.e. not going into the router settings). From the google wifi app I can also see that the playbar is listed as a Sonos Sub and doesn't have an IP address (at all)...and yet it works, whereas the actual sub has an IP (and MAC address) but cannot connect to the playbar...
Totally agree. Cannot believe this is a public company. I can spend 20 minutes trying to get the system (a playbase and two surrounds) to play one song. Two days later, I go back to the app and try to play music and NOTHING. My system is stable, the network works fine. I use the app on an iPad (the app for iMac is not that great). But geez, trying to get it to work two consecutive times is virtually impossible. And the error messages are useless. Sonos wants to get by with apple-like pricing and can't come close to providing apple-like functionality.
You need to get Sonos Support involved. Sonos is a successful company because the vast majority of users have a great experience. It must be hugely frustrating if you don't, but it can be sorted.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I always laugh at the people coming to this forum with replies like "all of us here LOVE sonos" or "the majority of users rarely have problems" - these are obviously sonos employees. They have no basis to make ridiculous generalisations like this. I personally have had more problems with Sonos than any other sound system I have ever used.
I always laugh at the people coming to this forum with replies like "all of us here LOVE sonos" or "the majority of users rarely have problems" - these are obviously sonos employees. They have no basis to make ridiculous generalisations like this. I personally have had more problems with Sonos than any other sound system I have ever used.
No. Sonos employees are clearly marked as such next to their avatar.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Hi, janlappa. The suggestion that the other users in this thread are paid is inaccurate. I'm the first contributor to this thread on the Sonos payroll. As you will quite clearly see, my status as an employee is clearly labelled. I do wonder how many other WiFi-enabled HiFi systems you have made use of. In the vast majority of cases, any issue is the fault of the local network. I'm inclined to add, this isn't a generalisation but a consequence of my experience during my time here at Sonos.

If you would like some assistance in resolving your issue, please provide a summary of the problem you are encountering and submit a diagnostic, responding with the confirmation number. This way we can identify the cause. Many thanks in advance.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I've never actually met someone having problems with the setup of their Sonos system. Also, the number of complaints on this forum are rather limited (compare this with what you read on the Bose soundtouch forum). This has of course caused that reputation of nearly "unbreakable". So the replies on this forum are not that surprising. If everyone who never had a single Sonos problem would also open a topic on this forum the real complaints would be hard to find :)

Instability will almost always be caused by network problems. That doesn't mean a unit can't be broke, but if it works at least sometimes then you can be sure the network is your problem and not the unit. Of course, for an end user, if it doesn't work it doesn't matter whether it's the networks are the players fault.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21

There have been millions of Sonos units sold over their 15+ year history. Do you think they would have achieved that sort of sales over that period of time if they didn't have a pretty solid product? Not at all saying it's prefect, as there clearly are scenarios where there have been issues. I see that you've had problems with your system, but there is no logical reason to extrapolate your personal experience to be the experience of all or most customers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Hi janlappa

You're going to catch flak for your comment. Nothing threatening...just push back. 😞 Albeit you're not the first to make such a statement.

I'm not a Sonos employee and I'm very much satisfied with the performance, versatility, expandability, reliability and sound (couldn't think of anymore adjectives:8). Check out my signature below...I have a substantial investment in Sonos products.

Seriously, if this were a feedback forum soliciting product ratings I might be inclined to agree; to a point. Those sites have had to come up algorithms to determine fake ratings from the real thing. The Sonos Community is a HELP community among other things to share knowledge. That said I've never come across a "how do you rate the Sonos X" where 1 is low and 5 is high.

As has been suggested if you provide more detail about your issue and/or submit a diagnostic there's a good chance your issue will be resolved. Heck, I'd be willing to try and help 🆒

So, let's have some detail on what's going on...you may be pleasantly surprised with the outcome.

Cheers!
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I love my Sonos, it's fantastic. So much so I bought the company. Well, alright just some of it as I don't have Victor Kiam's money.

But. I have had problems. Playbar and Play 1 replaced under warranty. Major issues with interference causing mayhem. I got these sorted. Either directly with Sonos support or via help on this forum.

I wish Sonos would pay me
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
@janlappa

I was looking at your previous posts and it appears that after several years of ownership (your words paraphrased) issues started on or about April 17, 2017 the date of your first post.

Just because a phone, tablet or other wireless product connects without issue does not mean that every other product should work flawlessly. Sonos; albeit simple, has requirements of it's own. Click the link to learn more about things that can contribute to an unstable Sonos setup: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3286?language=en_US

Wi-Fi (Standard Setup) can be finicky that is why Boost is the recommended one. Did you know that Boost (to create the SonosNet) was at one time the only option to setup Sonos as wireless? Boost effectively, illuminates most of the problems associated to a Wi-Fi (Standard) Mode. Furthermore, Wi-Fi mode can behave differently in every household so there's no "one solution fits all" it's a case-by-case resolution. IMO Sonos allowing Wi-Fi opened Pandora's Box for troubles. Think counting the spots on one Dalmatian and assuming they're the same on all Dalmatians.

Read why Boost is better: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3235?language=en_US

So you might consider moving to a Boost setup for your Sonos. Please don't misunderstand...even Boost setup is governed by your routers wired connection. Routers need updates to their firmware to operate efficiently.

BTW is your router's firmware up to date? How about the Sonos app? Let us know how we can help. Please don't respond with a "Just make Sonos work" give us something to work from.

Cheers!
So, let's have some detail on what's going on...you may be pleasantly surprised with the outcome.
The OP has been posting about issues for 3.5 years, most recently 1.5 years ago when Ryan S tended to the matter apparently with some success. The response throughout has been that the OP has had significant network issues: IP conflicts and/or wireless interference. Since a Bridge was part of the equation its power supply could also be suspect.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Paid? Cool! When do I get my check?

At least you didn't threaten to shoot the bunny!