Workaround: Full control over SONOS from Desktop PC despite the infamous update

• 18 November 2018
  • 1 reply

Hi!

Similar to some of you I have the issue that after my speakers updated to the most recent firmware, I'm not able anymore to use the desktop app under windows to control all aspects of my SONOS system from there. (BTW: Dear SONOS, the choice to remove functionality from the desktop software is appalling as people without mobile devices are left with basically useless devices. But I guess that has been discussed sufficiently by now.)

I use a workaround from here [1] however that allows me to do so anyway, which I thought might be useful to people on this forum who like me do not own an appropriate mobile device.

I installed Memu Android Emulator (it's free), then ran NetFltInstall.exe (run as admin!) which can be found in subdirectory \MEmuHyperv of Memu's install directory (e.g. C:\Program Files\Microvirt\MEmuHyperv\). It installs a net bridge that will allow to connect to the computer's wifi from within the emulator.
Next, start the emulator and go to System settings>Network and in the drop down menu Network mode select your wifi adapter. Restart Memu. Then, within Memu run Google Play Store and install the latest Sonos app as you would on any device. Start it up and you should be able to use it to set up your system. Done.

Selecting music can be done from the normal (i.e., older) desktop app, sparing you starting up Memu every time you want to add new music to the queue.

[1] https://www.reddit.com/r/sonos/comments/9oerlx/can_i_run_the_full_featured_sonos_app_on_an/@

1 reply

Badge
This also worked for me, though now I'm anxious about malware!

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings