Won't Update Music Library, Part 2

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

A continuation of this thread.

Now, even when I manually update, it won’t play music.

The controller shows all albums and songs, and also album art - so clearly it’s pushing/pulling info to and from wherever. But it tells me it’s “Unable to connect” to the server address.

Every device on the network - Windows and Android - can connect to the device where the Library is stored. Sonos says it is able to add the Library at that address (and again, it sees songs and artwork).

I’m so, so tired.

112 replies

Well the good news is, the WD MyCloud fell off the delivery truck and the Synology one should be here in the AM. The router made it,but I'm holding off on that.

I think it would be fair to say that this hasn’t been the smoothest of experiences for you.

For an example of fortitude, endurance and courage in the face of adversity, I commend to you the Shackleton expedition to Antarctica that began in 1914.  I never pass up an excuse, however tenuous, to draw people’s attention to it.  It is the most extraordinary survival story there has ever been, or ever could be.  You can (and should) read about it in Shackleton’s own account, “South”, or Alfred Lansing’s book, “Endurance”.

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

It is the most extraordinary survival story there has ever been, or ever could be.  You can (and should) read about it in Shackleton’s own account, “South”, or Alfred Lansing’s book, “Endurance”.

I’ve read both. Shackleton was a weak-kneed, [censored]-sniffing, pusillanimous poltroon compared to Adrien de Gerlache. Check out Madness at the End of the Earth and tell me if you can ever face a penguin again.

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

The one I mentioned to get from your links specifically said Network Attached Storage (i.e. NAS) (the black one) but looks like you went with the other one. 

You endorsed the WD that I put the link up for, which is the one I ordered, which looked like NAS but I eventually saw that comment that made it sound like it was specifically not NAS.

But, since America in 2022 lacks the logistics capabilities to trace a box from a warehouse to a downtown tower four miles away, the physical drive is manifesting its destiny and has disappeared into the cloud.

The Synology drive is here and will be installed tonight. No room for a 2-bay one, and I’m only emptying and moving cabinets one more time for Sonos.

(And now I see in “Related Topics”: Music Library Won’t Update on Synology NAS. Great.)

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

The one I mentioned to get from your links specifically said Network Attached Storage (i.e. NAS) (the black one) but looks like you went with the other one. 

You endorsed the WD that I put the link up for...

Says who?

You linked to two items - one called “WD 8TB My Cloud EX2 Ultra Network Attached Storage - NAS” and one called “WD 4TB My Cloud Home Personal Cloud - WDBVXC0040HWT-NESN, Single Drive, White”.

I said to get the MyCloud NAS, but it seems you ordered one that looked like a NAS.

Not sure why you think what you do but my work here is done… I’m getting me coat too.

I was going to say good luck, hope you get it sorted but to be honest I couldn’t care less 😂

I can already anticipate one issue you may face accessing the tracks but there are others who may advise there.

Oh, the Shackleton opinion is hilarious.

It is the most extraordinary survival story there has ever been, or ever could be.  You can (and should) read about it in Shackleton’s own account, “South”, or Alfred Lansing’s book, “Endurance”.

I’ve read both. Shackleton was a weak-kneed, [censored]-sniffing, pusillanimous poltroon compared to Adrien de Gerlache. Check out Madness at the End of the Earth and tell me if you can ever face a penguin again.

I’ll try another book recommendation then.  “How to Win Friends and Influence People”

I’ll get me coat.

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Says who?

You linked to two items - one called “WD 8TB My Cloud EX2 Ultra Network Attached Storage - NAS” and one called “WD 4TB My Cloud Home Personal Cloud - WDBVXC0040HWT-NESN, Single Drive, White”.

I said to get the MyCloud NAS, but it seems you ordered one that looked like a NAS.

Not sure why you think what you do but my work here is done… I’m getting me coat too.

I was going to say good luck, hope you get it sorted but to be honest I couldn’t care less 😂

I can already anticipate one issue you may face accessing the tracks but there are others who may advise there.

Oh, the Shackleton opinion is hilarious.

So clearly I misunderstood your initial reco. Ultimately, the WD doesn’t matter, I’m installing the Synology drive - which, from what I can tell - no one had mentioned until I said I’d already bought it; you’re saying I should expect issues but won’t tell me what they are, so, let me get your coat for you. Don’t worry, I’ll cover the tip.

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

We won’t know til this is over if the de Garlache or Shackleton metaphor is more apt: trapped in the ice for a year while everyone goes absolutely stark-raving mad but eventually sailing away, or watching the ship sink and spending two years hiking across frozen desolation.

Either way, there was salvation at the end.

Which, typing that, probably jinxed my drive installation.

More on the earlier Antarctic expedition, if you don’t want to read the whole book:

The Spectator

GQ

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Where Is the White Flag of Surrender Button?

1. I bought a Synology DS118 and added a 4TB drive
  2. I mounted it on my network: RJBNW_Server
    I can access it via the Synology portal and Windows’ Network Neighborhood
  3. I created a folder with Guest privileges: SONOSLibrary
  4. I added one album (Nebraska)
  5. I added the \\RJBMW_Server\SONOSLibrary
    ALL GOOD
  6. I added about a dozen artist folders
  7. “Update Music Library”

So I am back to square one:

I can delete the Library and re-add it, but I can’t update it.

I have “Guest” R/W privileges turned on on the SONOSLibrary folder.

I have done everything everyone has suggested, and dropped about $600 in the process. And still not working.

What am I missing?

What exactly happened at 8?  Errot messages?

Why "guest" privileges?

I don't really think this will make a difference but maybe remove underscore. 

My Synology NAS has a default public music folder //DISKSTATION/music.

Does yours?

That is where my Sonos music library sits.

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

I just gave it all R/W privileges possible - Guest, Admin, Me.

Weird! The pic didn’t show up for Step 8 - essentially the same “cannot find, the path may have changed” message I’ve been getting since this whole shebang started.

It didn’t have a “music” folder until I installed the “Media Server” Package. Which, yeah, now that I say that out loud…

OK, that’s my homework tonight. Thanks

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Final (Hopefully)* Update

When I posted “it wasn’t working” on Wednesday, but before I saw @John B ‘s post, I reinstalled everything - factory reset on Sonos, the router (not the new drive) and remapped a few folders. It worked.

I moved the rest of the folders over and let it be.

The overnight sweep did not pick up the new, but a manual Update did.

I added one folder yesterday.

The overnight sweep DID pick that up.

So it’s functioning… For now… Fingers crossed.

There are two ways to resolve problems - figure out the cause and eliminate it, or figure out how to adapt. I’d say we never figured out the cause, but after lots of time (and money), you guys got me the equipment to adapt.

Thanks to everyone who genuinely tried to help out on this. It remains vexing! But rather than pick at the splinter that is “why didn’t it work the way it should have”, I’m just going to enjoy some tunes.

Hopefully the next “job” you assist with is an easier one!

* Autocorrect changed “hopefully” to “hooey”, which is probably apt.