I purchased my second Sonos unit (a Play 3) last week to accompany my Play 5 I bought in April. However, in the Matrix I’m noticing that there are wireless issues I am trying to eliminate.
Just a brief rundown on what I've setup.
• I have the Play 5 wired to my Time Capsule and a USB drive connected to my Time Capsule where my music library is.
• The Play 3 is in another room connected wirelessly.
• Play 5 is the root bridge
• Time Capsule has Wide Channels disabled
• All wireless devices in my house have DHCP reservations ( to avoid duplicate IP addresses - as suggested by users on the Sonos forum)
• I have changed the TC to Channel 6 and Sonos to Channel 11 and vice versa. I have also done combinations of Channels 1 and 11 vice versa and 1 and 6 vice versa (during these tests both units were in Red and sometimes Orange and Yellow)
• The Play 5 is 3 feet away from the TC
• I use the following wireless devices (Apple TV, iPad and iPhone, Laptop that's wireless and a 2.5 GHz phone which I have shut off in my tests – but have turned back on)
So far, I have not experienced any audio drop outs, even when in party mode - although I am concerned that I am always in the "red" in the matrix. I bought a second Play 5 a couple months ago but it had horrible performance due to interference and I had to return it before I could get thorough assistance from Sonos (I was almost at the end of the return period).
As a side note, I do have a microwave but I have not used it in several days (I have heard people to say this can be an issue).
I've also attached a screen shot of the wireless activity around me (I have been running it for a day) in case there may be something in there to explain my wireless interference as well as a rough draft of the layout of my condo.
I have talked with Sonos Tier 2 Support – but no concrete response aside from the fact that other residents most likely have auto channels selecting which means their routers are constantly scanning and affecting my network. But is this not a reality for people living in a condo?
*** Raziel Central, Raziel Central 5GHZ Network and Raziel Central's Guest Network are mine.