Answered

Wireless hdmi/optical input to beam produces no sound

• 9 December 2019
  • 3 replies

Hi. I have a beam with two ones in a home cinema setup with a projector and PS4. The projector does not have HDMI ARC output nor does it have optical out.

I have been using an HDMI splitter connected to the PS4 HDMI out to split off audio in the form of optical.

I have then used the Sonos optical to HDMI adaptor and have run a long HDMI cable to my beam under the projector screen.

The system works, except that I have a really long cable running across my room that I want to remove.

I have tried replacing the HDMI cable with a wireless extender but I get no audio from my sonos system.

I have also tried putting the HDMI splitter on the other end of the wireless system (i.e. next to the beam) but still get no audio. It would seem that something that the beam needs is lost via the wireless system.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 9 December 2019, 22:35

Most wireless extenders don’t have the capability to handle HDMI-ARC, which is what that adapter is creating. I think you might find a newer, and likely more expensive version that does, but it isn’t something I’ve investigated. Search for one of those, and I think your issues will go away. 

View original

3 replies

Most wireless extenders don’t have the capability to handle HDMI-ARC, which is what that adapter is creating. I think you might find a newer, and likely more expensive version that does, but it isn’t something I’ve investigated. Search for one of those, and I think your issues will go away. 

I did try using the wIreless HDMI receiver as the input to my splitter and then plugged the Sonos optical adaptor into the optical out on the splitter and then into the beam, but still got no audio. The weird thing is that my system did detect that it was plugged in via HDMI but just wasn’t outputting audio. So somehow the wireless extender was no passing whatever audio is compatible with the beam.

Did you confirm that the signal coming through the HDMI was a Dolby Digital signal? Sonos would not be able to interpret anything other than Dolby Digital or Stereo. For instance, if the HDMI was carrying a DTS signal, then you’d not get anything out of the Sonos.

If your system is working while you have the long HDMI, then your issue isn’t with the Sonos, but with that switch, or the optical cable you’re using. Not sure I’ve got the expertise to help you troubleshoot that