Question

Wireless connection dropping

• 19 December 2016
  • 20 replies

Hi,

I keep getting a constant error message telling me that I need to be connected to a wireless network. The music doesn't stop or cut out but it means I don't have access to the usual interface. The message will disappear if I go out of the app and come back in but then it will reappear again in a few seconds. Very annoying. Can anyone help?

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

20 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Hi DS77, welcome to the community.

We'd like a little more information about your Sonos system. Would you mind submitting a diagnostic and replying with the confirmation number? Here's an article explaining how: How to Submit Diagnostic
Also, is the system experiencing the same problem when using a different controller?
After upgrading to Windows 10 I discovered that Sonos works best in compatibility mode.
Hi, I am having the same problem using the iPhone app. Very frustrating and it makes the system almost unusable. I am using IOS 10.2 and the app is up to date. Anyone got any ideas please? Diagnostics Ref: 6895011
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, I am having the same problem using the iPhone app. Very frustrating and it makes the system almost unusable. I am using IOS 10.2 and the app is up to date. Anyone got any ideas please? Diagnostics Ref: 6895011

Hi stewsinc,

It looks like you have 3 wireless access points in your home network. One of them is on a different wireless channel than the other 2. We recommend having all access points on the same wireless channel. Please try that and let us know if things improve or not.
Hi, Thanks for the reply. I have a sky hub with a Sky Q box and mini box upstairs which act as extensions to the wireless network in the house. Everything has worked fine for the last 8 or 10 months with no problems at all. The only things that have changed recently were an IOS update, Sonos app update and a Sonos update, all of these things happened within a week or two of one another, it is since this time that the problems have been occurring.
I have the same issue, which seems to be since updating my iPhone 6 to iOS 10.2. It has rendered my Sonos player virtually useless and I would appreciate a quick solution to this
Diagnostic 6951054
Hi,

I keep getting a constant error message telling me that I need to be connected to a wireless network. The music doesn't stop or cut out but it means I don't have access to the usual interface. The message will disappear if I go out of the app and come back in but then it will reappear again in a few seconds. Very annoying. Can anyone help?

Thanks
i am having the same issue. Very aggravating and I am considering returning my speakers.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Hello All,

Have a look at this for lots of tips to get the most out of your Sonos

tips-and-tricks-and-sonos-101

For some reason I cannot post the link. Search the forum.
Hi, same thing here, the iPhone apps on my wife's phone and mine keep losing connection all the time. Works fine on Android, Windows and Linux devices. What could be the reason, something in the latest ver of iOS? iOS 10.2, Sonos Controller 7.0.1. 2 PLAY:5, 2 PLAY:1 one CONNECT, all on version 7.0
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, same thing here, the iPhone apps on my wife's phone and mine keep losing connection all the time. Works fine on Android, Windows and Linux devices. What could be the reason, something in the latest ver of iOS? iOS 10.2, Sonos Controller 7.0.1. 2 PLAY:5, 2 PLAY:1 one CONNECT, all on version 7.0

Please check your iPhone's settings for an option called Wi-Fi assist. This is found in the settings menu under mobile data. Try turning Wi-Fi assist off and see if that helps.
I have the same issue, which seems to be since updating my iPhone 6 to iOS 10.2. It has rendered my Sonos player virtually useless and I would appreciate a quick solution to this - I too have had the same problem and it coincidentally it's only been since updating my iPhone to IOS 10.2 over the holidays. I called Sonos last night in total frustration and they said I must have a weak wifi signal. But this has only just come up and I have a house filled with smart apps for Wink, Wemo, and Philips Hue lights and switches and they don't have any issues.
I have the same issue, which seems to be since updating my iPhone 6 to iOS 10.2. It has rendered my Sonos player virtually useless and I would appreciate a quick solution to this - I too have had the same problem and, coincidentally, it's only been since updating my iPhone to IOS 10.2 over the holidays. I called Sonos last night (Jan 19 2017) in total frustration and they said I must have a weak wifi signal. But this has only just come up since updating my phone a few weeks ago and I have a house filled with smart apps for Wink, Wemo, and Philips Hue lights and switches and they don't have any issues.

Please check your iPhone's settings for an option called Wi-Fi assist. This is found in the settings menu under mobile data. Try turning Wi-Fi assist off and see if that helps.
I JUST TRIED THIS AND IT APPEARS, AT LEAST FOR THIS MOMENT, TO HAVE FIXED THE PROBLEM!! YAY! I WAS GETTING VERY VERY VERY ANNOYED!! THANKS!
- I too have had the same problem and it coincidentally it's only been since updating my iPhone to IOS 10.2 over the holidays. I called Sonos last night in total frustration and they said I must have a weak wifi signal. But this has only just come up and I have a house filled with smart apps for Wink, Wemo, and Philips Hue lights and switches and they don't have any issues.

As advised by Ryan S from Sonos above, check your iPhone's settings for an option called Wi-Fi assist. This is found in the settings menu under mobile data. Turn Wi-Fi assist off and see if that helps.
SONOS SUPPORT: turning OFF Wi-Fi assist under Cellular data in iPhone Settings appears to have fixed this for me. You should POST THIS IN ALL CAPS because I bet a lot of users who have IOS 10.2 update are experiencing this issue with their app not displaying properly due to a bogus error message saying a wifi connection is needed.
Day number two and my Wi-Fi connection is working great. Thanks for the solution!
Check your iPhone's settings for an option named Wi-Fi assist.(Settings > Cellular Data > Wi-Fi Assist > Wi-Fi Assist Off/White) Try turning Wi-Fi assist off and see if that helps.
This worked for me on 4 iPhones in my family.

Check your iPhone's settings for an option named Wi-Fi assist.(Settings > Cellular Data > Wi-Fi Assist > Wi-Fi Assist Off/White) Try turning Wi-Fi assist off and see if that helps.

Note that my cellular connection is 1X with 1 bar when i am at home so why it would ever flip to cellular assist is just bad planning.

SONOS SUPPORT: IF POSSIBLE PLEASE DISABLE cellular assist function. It would never work for sonos, so why is it even an option. I am sure this would help lots of people having skipping songs issues when playing back from iphones.

Peace Out!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, taylortech. It's not our feature, you'd have to appeal to Apple to have this done. We have no ability to change this for you. Thanks.