Wireless camera interference

• 11 September 2014
  • 16 replies

I just installed four wireless cameras around the office and now Sonos is unhappy with its new roommates. If I switch the camera receivers off, all returns to normal. I just replaced the wireless router with an N router, but it doesn't seem to matter.

I have one Connect hooked into the new router, and the other two Connects wireless. The wired device is the most stable, but that doesn't help the other two, and wiring them is not an option.

Sonos is on Channel 6, while the new router is on Auto, and the cameras use their own wireless system (assuming 2.4).

Any advice (besides ditch the cameras 😃 )?

16 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Wireless cameras and baby monitors will completely obliterate the 2.4Ghz spectrum. The amount of phyerrs that show up in the local diagnostic demonstrate how badly these devices behave.

Other than buying 5Ghz cameras, your options are limited. Connect them via ethernet or POE ? Turn off the cameras when you're listening to music ? 😃
Haha! Yeah... already contemplated that. If I turn off the 2.4 side of the router and enable the 5 ghz side only, will Sonos still do it's thing? Or is Sonos' 2.4 the culprit in this case? Since installing the router, we can get on the internet now with no problem... Everything is back to normal with the cameras on, but Sonos still chokes.
Sonos was using Channel 1. On a whim, I changed it to channel 6 and it seems to have cleared up the noise... for now. Will do a full test in the morning.
If I turn off the 2.4 side of the router and enable the 5 ghz side only, will Sonos still do it's thing?
Yes, because your Sonos is using its own 2.4GHz mesh.

If you're not going to disable the router's 2.4GHz band I suggest you fix its channel to stop it jumping around on 'auto'. Also check it's using 20MHz only for the channel width.

The cameras could well use spread-spectrum to spray their noise over the whole band. They may make life difficult.
Even if i disable the 2.4 ghz band, the Sonos piece of its own 2.4 will still be taking the shrapnel so it won't matter if the router's is off.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Get IP Cameras (not some 2,4Ghz proprietary thing) and wire them. Everything else could render your 2,4Ghz band useless. Not only for WiFi, but also Bluetooth and other devices that rely on that band.
Userlevel 2
How about a link to the cameras in question?

You say they are wireless - how do you view them?

Anyway long story short.

Sonos takes up a WiFi channel for its own use. I set my Sonos system to use channel 11 which leaves channels 1 and 6 for "normal" WiFi use.

My wireless cameras are WiFi based and as such they do not conflict with other WiFI devices - they just share the bandwidth.

And don't rely on the "Auto" setting for WiFi devices - it never seems to pick a good channel.
Userlevel 5
Badge +1
I have many sonos pieces and am in the market for a wireless camara for the front door. Anybody have any model suggestions that don't interfere much with sonos? Also I don't think it will be possible to wire the camara if it will be on the outside of the front door.

Anybody have experience with ones that play nice with sonos that they could recommend?
Userlevel 2
I have many sonos pieces and am in the market for a wireless camara for the front door. Anybody have any model suggestions that don't interfere much with sonos? Also I don't think it will be possible to wire the camara if it will be on the outside of the front door.

Anybody have experience with ones that play nice with sonos that they could recommend?

Any camera that uses WiFi will work fine along side of Sonos gear.

But if you can't get wire to it how are you going to power it?
Userlevel 5
Badge +1
Running power to the unit from an outlet vs. Having ethernet cable running 100 feet from my router are two top different challenges.

So all wireless camaras will work well with sonos equally?
Userlevel 2
Running power to the unit from an outlet vs. Having ethernet cable running 100 feet from my router are two top different challenges.

So all wireless camaras will work well with sonos equally?

All IP Cameras that utilize WiFi will work fine. You have 3 channels to choose from and Sonos only needs 1 leaving 2 for "normal" Wifi purposes.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
All IP Cameras that utilize WiFi will work fine. You have 3 channels to choose from and Sonos only needs 1 leaving 2 for "normal" Wifi purposes.

All that in theory! Mix a typically crowded wifi environment into that mix and 3 channels are not at all enough.

For the given setup, all three channels would be necessary anyway!: e.g. 1 for Sonos, 6 for cameras (if adjustible at all), 11 for normal wifi.

And now add a neighbour. 🆒

PowerLAN could be an alternative to WiFi for the cameras.
Userlevel 2
All that in theory! Mix a typically crowded wifi environment into that mix and 3 channels are not at all enough.

For the given setup, all three channels would be necessary anyway!: e.g. 1 for Sonos, 6 for cameras (if adjustible at all), 11 for normal wifi.

Never seen a WiFi device that didn't allow channel selection - I think it is part of the spec.

Depending on the camera specs and the number of cameras you wish to stream simultaneously they may work fine on the same channel as "normal" WiFi.

And 1, 6 and 11 are the only non-overlapping channels there are.

If you can see your neighbors WiFi network and the signal level is high enough to cause problems ask him to turn it down.

Or ask him to move.

Or, worst case, wrap his house in mu metal.

I don't think they will notice.

😛
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Never seen a WiFi device that didn't allow channel selection - I think it is part of the spec.

Depending on the camera specs and the number of cameras you wish to stream simultaneously they may work fine on the same channel as "normal" WiFi.

The problem is, that on 2,4Ghz, you do not need to do "proper" standard based WiFi connections (g,n,ac, etc). Simple cameras simply blast their signal out on some non-changable frequency to a proprietary receiver. (e.g. http://www.amazon.com/Uniden-Wireless-Weather-Surveillance-Camera/dp/B008GULDD4/ ). If it is a "N" standard camera like http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DCS-930L-mydlink-Enabled-Wireless-N-Network/dp/B00452V66G/ a proper WiFi setup should be possible.
Userlevel 2
The problem is, that on 2,4Ghz, you do not need to do "proper" standard based WiFi connections (g,n,ac, etc).

That is understood but the OP did not provide any information that I recall as to the actual hardware.

I asked how he viewed them assuming it might be a simple "baby monitor" type system but no answer was forth coming.

All other remarks were made in reference to IP cameras that were WiFi based.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
That is understood but the OP did not provide any information that I recall as to the actual hardware.

That is right. We really would need to know that.

Btw: even N wifi cameras might be a problem, as - assumed they are streaming continuously somewhere - they will use up a part of the available wifi bandwith of the home network. At least in the 2,4Ghz band, there might not be enough performance left for bandwith intensive applications like video streaming or copying big files.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings