Question

Wired vs Wireless

• 10 October 2016
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5
  • Chromatic Producer I
  • 66 replies
I've had my Sonos system (Playbar, Sub, 2 Play1's + 2 more Play1's) for about 1 1/2 yrs now. I originally connected the Playbar via network calbe as that was the recommended setup at the time. Wireless setup has since been added via updates obviously. I want to go wireless as I could use that network cable for something else in the vicinity. Any down side to this? I have an unused Sonos boost if that helps in any way. thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
Hi there, and thanks for posting! So there are 3 options here: leave the PLAYBAR wired to your router, wire the BOOST to the router instead of the PLAYBAR, or run the system without a wired connection. With one Sonos product wired to the router, the system works as a mesh network which can help with large installations or houses with thick walls, while a wireless setup has all Sonos products communicate directly with the router. Most households should be fine using either setup but if the house is large, the wired setup will allow Sonos to connect at greater distances from the router. For more information you can check this article, and let me know if you have any questions.
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
Hi there, and thanks for posting! So there are 3 options here: leave the PLAYBAR wired to your router, wire the BOOST to the router instead of the PLAYBAR, or run the system without a wired connection. With one Sonos product wired to the router, the system works as a mesh network which can help with large installations or houses with thick walls, while a wireless setup has all Sonos products communicate directly with the router. Most households should be fine using either setup but if the house is large, the wired setup will allow Sonos to connect at greater distances from the router. For more information you can check this article, and let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks, figured it out with the help of someone from another thread. I wanted to use the network cable for the playbar for my TV. Completely forgot there's a second network port on the playbar I can use for the TV. So all is good.