Question

wired speakers

• 23 June 2019
  • 4 replies

I have two indoor wired speakers and two outdoor wired speakers connected to one Connect box. How do I go about creating separate groups for the wired speakers?

4 replies

I'm not sure what you mean by "Connect box". Is this a SONOS product or a generic speaker selector? If you want to play different music on each pair of speakers, you'll need a SONOS AMP for each pair. A generic speaker selector sends the same music to all speakers.If you have a number of SONOS Players (AMP is a player too) they can each play separate tracks or one can "Group" a few together using the SONOS controller and play the same music.
I meant Sonos Connect. So it sounds like I need a sonos amp for each set of wired speakers to operate the sets differently?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Yes, each Play 5 gen 1, Connect, Connect Amp or Sonos Amp is considered a room and can only provide one audio stream to the outputs.
I meant Sonos Connect. So it sounds like I need a sonos amp for each set of wired speakers to operate the sets differently?
Depends on what "differently" means. If all you want to do is play the same music via one or both pairs, at different volume levels, all you need is a switch with volume controls wired in between the amp and speaker pairs.
If you want to play different music at the same time through the two pairs, you need another Sonos unit.