Question

Wired Sonos Boost loses connection repeatedly

• 14 December 2017
  • 21 replies

Badge
I have a Sonos Boost wired directly to my router. The boost is wired to 9 Sonos Amps which are hard wired to integrated home speakers. System works great except that it drops connection constantly and I have to reset the router to get it back on line. Nothing else is wired to the router. How do I fix this issue?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

21 replies

I think you need to set reserved IP addresses, particularly for the BOOST, but might as well for all the other devices, as well.
Badge
Thanks Bruce. That sounds completely logical, that IP address conflicts cause it to drop. Wireless devices in the house are probably being handed out the IP that the Boost originally was using.
If i recall correctly, Sonos tends to hold onto ip addresses, once they have been served, even if the router expires them, mayne that is causeing conflict, but i havent had any issues.

I wonder if you can ping the boost, or if it is completely offline?

Does the network ports still flash?
I am a bit puzzled as to how and why the Boost is wired to 9 Connect :Amps. Could you elaborate a little?
If i recall correctly, Sonos tends to hold onto ip addresses, once they have been served, even if the router expires them, mayne that is causeing conflict, but i havent had any issues.

I wonder if you can ping the boost, or if it is completely offline?

Does the network ports still flash?
I may be mistaken, but I don't think Sonos components have any means to hold onto IP addresses.
Badge
I inherited the system in a home I purchased. There are 9 wired speaker zones in the home. Each speaker zone is hard wired to a connect amp.

Each Connect amp is hardwired to an Ethernet switch which is hard wired to the Boost. The Boost is hard wired to the internet router (Cox)

While the internet router never loses its connection to the internet, the Sonos boost regularly drops. It is still present, because the app reports that it cannot connect to it, not that it doesn't find a Sonos system.

As initial set up, I just did a Boost setup, and it flawlessly configured and worked fine for a while. Then the system would drop, and the cannot connect error would be received.

Resetting the internet router has been the only solution to get connected until the next time it drops.
I don't recall ever seeing a message saying app cannot connect to Boost, but I'll take your word for it. Possible causes of your issues...

1. SonosNet and router on same channel
2. Boost too close to router.
3.Faulty Boost or power supply to Boost
4. Switch is a managed switch then something in the switch configuration.
5. IP address issues, as already suggested.

It would be interesting to know what happens if you disconnected all the C:As from the switch and relied on SonosNet. Just as an experiment, for troubleshooting. Or submit a system diagnostic and post the number back here.
Badge
The boost is close to the router, about 10 feet.
Not a managed switch.
I was going to try removing the hard wiring from all the connects, but hadn't since the system supposedly worked fine as set up for the previous home owner. However, he had an older Cox router. That is why I was leaning toward IP address problems.

I hadn't thought about the boost or its power supply actually being bad.

One thought I had today is that the problem seems to have worsened after I powered up two wireless printers in the house, but I am grasping at straws there.
Badge
Do you know how to check if Sonos net and router are on the same channel, and if so how to separate?
Well there is an Android app called Wifi analyser that will show you all the wifi channels being used around you. You should be able to log into your router using an admin password. The Sonos channel can be viewed and changed in Advanced Settings.
It could even be a faulty Ethernet cable - I have known it to be that, but I wouldn't be putting money on it.

10 feet between router and Boost is plenty
Badge
Something I haven't tried, but probably should have first! Will change it tonight.
But hang on a moment..... everything is wired anyway, so what is the point of the Boost? Just hardwire the switch to the router.
Badge
Like I said, I inherited the system, and that is how it was configured. I just did a boost configure and it all set up great and started working fine. After a day or so it started dropping regularly. I guess I could lose the Boost completely and have each C:A running wirelessly, or, connect the ethernet switch which connects the C:As to the Boost to the Cox router. I'll give that a shot.....
I think you should try it. It may not help but at the moment the Boost looks like an unnecessary potential point of failure. Wire the switch to the router, give it a minute to settle down and then see how it goes. The Boost really seems to serve no purpose - other than to slow things down as the ports aren't gigabit.

And given everything's wired, I'd ignore the stuff on wireless channels!

And @Airgetlam's suggestion on IP address conflicts is still very much in the frame.
Badge
Tried taking the boost out of the system. Wired the router to the switch that all the C:As are wired to. Same problem occurred......
Badge
Diagnostics Number 8225448
Still betting on IP address conflicts.
Badge
It seems like that is the probable cause. The Cox Panoramic router doesn’t support fixed IP addresses. Am I screwed?
Nah, you can still do the temp fix thing. Power down the Sonos devices, then reboot the router, then plug them back in one at a time, allowing each enough time to boot before moving on to the next. Basically, you're resetting the router so it handles IP addressing the way it is supposed to. Your guess as to why they can get confused is as good or perhaps better than mine.

I call that a "temp" fix, as it doesn't address the root problem, but it's entirely possible you'll never have the issue again. It just depends on what state the router is in when the Sonos speakers do their reboot sequence....like every time the update the software. In your case, I'd be tempted to reboot the router every time that Sonos updates their software, just to be sure. Hard to remember, but it certainly might avoid this issue.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Well there is an Android app called Wifi analyser that will show you all the wifi channels being used around you. You should be able to log into your router using an admin password. The Sonos channel can be viewed and changed in Advanced Settings.

Most Android WiFi analyzers will only show other systems that are broadcasting an SSID so you need a bit more detective work to rule out a hidden signal messing you up. I use the scanner built into my Ubiquity AP to check my channels.