Wired Connect Amp Gen 2 - Music Library dropouts every song

A few updates back on the Sonos 2 app a bug was introduced. My hard wired Connect Amp when playing my Music Library (iMac/iTune match ethernet) disconnects for ~ 10 seconds when it gets to the last 30-35 seconds of the song. Happens on every Song. I spent most of a day on off the phone with Sonos support. We ran through all the scripts they have, even wired the amp directly to my router bypassing the switch. Nothing worked. I finally unplugged the ethernet cable and went WiFi instead, that fixed it. Plug the ethernet back in and the problem comes back. It’s very re-producible, you can forward a song to the last 40 seconds and just watch it happed. The IOS and Mac OS apps show no error, they just continue to count down the song time as the speakers go off then back on. I ran constant pings to the Connect Amp as the drop out happens, they all go through no problem witch further points to a software issue, network is working fine. I’m guessing not many people have there connect amp hard wired?  I wish someone at Sonos’s testing department would try and reproduce this problem. Maybe then it will get fixed. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @cronce 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

If you haven’t done so already, I highly recommend swapping the ethernet cable you were using for another. Please also reboot your router by turning it off for at least 30 seconds.

If that doesn’t help, please reproduce the issue then immediately submit a support diagnostic, replying here with the number given. Thanks.

I hope this helps.

Hi Corry, 

Multiple support people have looked at this issues (chat and phone). The diagnostic information just says that the system has disconnected from my iMac. That last support person was convinced that it would go away if I wired the connect amp directly into my router, it did not. You can read more about it in case # 03916719. 

To prove this is a repeatable bug, I just used a new ethernet cable that is wired directly to my router. Rebooted both my Router and my Connect Amp. Played a song and as always, it paused for about 10 seconds during the last 30-35 seconds off the song. Right after the song started to play again, I sent the diagnostic report 1590329320.

To prove it’s only a wired ethernet issue, I unplugged the ethernet cable so that my Connect Amp is on my WiFi and the bug goes away. Please have someone find the same model Connect Amp as mine, upgrade it to the latest Sonos 2 on a Mac (latest OS) where both are hardwired with ethernet, and try to play any music from a music library. All other streaming services work fine, it’s just the music library.  The mac disconnect issue only happens with they are wired through ethernet. I suspect the faster connection is causing this bug at the point Sonos is fetching the next song. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @cronce 

Apologies - I am not sure why I didn’t see your reply until now.

Your system is reporting authentication issues - if these do not occur while connected with WiFi, then I can only surmise, like the agent you spoke to, that your network configuration is affecting things in some way. I see no mention in the case notes that you bypassed the switch (other than by using WiFi). If wiring Sonos directly to the router didn’t improve things, perhaps the problem is with the router configuration and not with the switch?

This is the first time I have ever heard of an issue like this; if it were a bug, I’m sure hundreds - if not thousands - of people would be similarly affected. It seems the answer is to connect the Sonos devices via WiFi instead of ethernet - you’ve already tried this and it works, so I can only recommend that’s what you do.

It’s certainly pretty strange behaviour, but as a isolated case, I have to assume that the network configuration is somehow the culprit. For further assistance, I can only recommend that you get back in touch with our technical support team and provide some diagnostics where Sonos is wired directly to the router and still misbehaving. They also have the option to investigate your router settings directly, which would be the first thing I would attempt if I picked up your call.

Hi Cory, 

I’m at my other house now that has the same model Connect Amp. It is normally connected via WiFi so I never had this problem. I just connected it to ethernet to the router and reproduced the bug. Diagnostics 105759710 (different account/email… let me know if you need that).

This house setup has a different network provider (AT&T fiber) Different Router (AT&T Fiber Gateway), Different Network switch, and different iMac model. The only thing in common with these two setups are: 

• Same model of Connect Amp
  • Same Latest Sonos Software version
  • Same Mac desktop App
  • Must be playing music from Music Library on the Mac (iTunes)
  • Must be connected to Ethernet to hear this bug

This bug was very easy for me to reproduce with completely different network environments. I’m confident that this is not an isolate case related to my network but an actual bug. Hopefully I have isolated everything you need to reproduce this bug in your testing lab. While going on WiFi does fix this issue for me…. the bug is still in your software and will likely come back in another form if not fixed. 

So what did Technical Support say, when you contacted them with this information, as @Corry P 

suggested?

So what did Technical Support say, when you contacted them with this information, as @Corry P 

suggested?

Technical Support (outsourced in India) can only see the disconnect errors from the Sonos system as it’s trying to connect to the iMac when hard-wired. When on wifi they see no errors. The only thing they can do is run through the same series of steps on their script with the assumption that it’s your network causing the problem. It’s a huge waste of time. This is not a customer network problem, it’s a software bug. Needs to be fixed. 

Interesting. I’d have thought that they could have passed you on to someone with additional technical knowledge, and based on your diagnostic, which none of us who are not Sonos employees can unfortunately see, could delve in to this further.

Doesn’t make much sense to me from what I know about Sonos that there’s a disconnect when wired versus not wired, unless there’s an issue with the router that either the Mac or the Sonos is wired to in some way.  Certainly would agree with @Corry P that if this were a software problem, we’d see  a multitude of posts. 

But then, I don’t maintain my iTunes library on either of my Macs, it resides on an NAS, so that I can shut down the Macs when they’re not in use. So I’m not able to do any valuable personal testing. 

Good luck. I hope you’re able to track down the issue, wherever it happens to be.