Answered

Windows Share Access Broken After Latest Update?

• 26 October 2017
  • 38 replies

My Sonos system recently updated to the latest release (8.1 Build 38946070) and it can no longer access music on my Windows Server share. I've been through all the troubleshooting steps, verified the credentials work, verified the path, made sure the network is private, and the firewall is set properly. I even changed the LanmanServer setting for the IRPStackSize in the registry (for both client machine and server, and, yes, I rebooted).

When I try to add the music share and path with credentials, I get the following: "Sonos was unable to add the music folder".

Anyone run into anything similar? Anything else I might try?

-b
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 3 November 2017, 18:07

I've been working with another customer who is having this issue with a Windows Server 2016 hosted share.

He has been working on it and offered the following as a solution that worked for him:
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/openspecification/2017/05/26/smb-2-and-smb-3-security-in-windows-10-the-anatomy-of-signing-and-cryptographic-keys/
It seems that using the details here, he was able to get the share working again for all of his players:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731957(v=ws.11).aspx
He said that it worked by disabling the requiresecuritysignature (setting it to 0). This was the only change required (and is the default for server 2k16) including leaving enablesecuritysignature set to 1. This turns off device signing as a requirement which was causing the PLAY:1 or Sonos One to fail connecting.

I haven't had a chance to test it out myself and we recommend caution when it comes to working with the registry settings, but you're welcome to give it a shot. If you have any concerns or questions about doing this, I'd recommend reaching out to someone who's familiar with Windows Server.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

38 replies

Well, the one thing I'd do is submit a system diagnostic, and post the number here, for the folks at Sonos to look at. They might be able to see something in the log files that you or I haven't thought of.
Thanks. Still haven't resolved this, I submitted a diagnostic: 8008019. Hopefully they will check it out.
Badge
I have a similar problem. Trying to play tracks from my library on a windows share resulted in 'file not found'. So I tried to remove and re-add the share location and could no longer add the share. Tried all the usual stuff, LanManServer settings etc. to no avail. Tried it again the next day and it worked - I was able to add the share.

Since then I have realised the problem is more specific. I have two Sonos rooms - a CONNECT hub in the lounge hardwired to the network and two stereo Play:1s in the Dining Room which are wireless. On the hard wired device in the lounge everything works perfectly. On the wireless Play:1s I am still getting 'file not found' if I try to play from my library. If I group them together it plays perfectly on all devices.

So, the hardwired device is fine. The wireless devices will not play files from the network windows share UNLESS they are grouped with the wired device.

I have also restarted all the devices and my router and switches and tried changing the sonosnet wireless channel.

Any ideas?

(I can submit diagnostics later, I'm currently at work...)
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
So, it looks like Microsoft has changed their stance on SMBv1 in the Fall Creators Update (build 1709) that was released earlier this month.

It had been said before that Microsoft would not remove SMBv1 functionality for in-place upgrades to the latest Windows 10 feature update. While they technically aren't removing it as part of the update, the functionality is being disabled if it's not being used within a certain period of time (identified as 15 days in the below Microsoft Support article). Now, it's only been 10 days since the update was released (Oct. 17), so in theory most people should not have issues with Sonos accessing their computers... unless you did a clean installation of this latest Windows 10 update instead of an in-place upgrade (i.e. made a USB drive and booted from that to install it).

If you did an in-place upgrade, and you have Sonos set to scan your music library automatically on a daily basis, then you should have no problems with Sonos being able to access your music library from your computer.

Microsoft: SMBv1 is not installed by default in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update...
Badge
My problem, as described above, is not as suggested by MikeV.

I have a windows share on Windows Server 2012 R2 containing my music library. Both the server and my Sonos:Connect are hard-wired to the network. The Connect can play files from the server perfectly.

My stereo pair Play:1s connected via wireless in a different room will not play files from my Server: "Unable to play... the file cannot be found". They will play files from the server when grouped with the Connect, but not independently.

This has only occurred since the latest software release. Before that everything worked OK.

I have submitted diagnostics: 8011448

Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Dave, it looks like you're running into an issue with some SMB permissions on one of those speakers with that server. We'd love to get a closer look at this. Do you think you can give us a call on our support line?
Badge
Hi Ryan,

Are you able to give me any other suggestions via this forum? I'm in the UK so it's not straightforward for me to call support. I'm an IT professional, so reasonably tech savvy if you can suggest anything.

Over the weekend I have tried:
- A factory reset of the Play:1s
- Setting up an all new share specifically for Sonos
- Disabling and re-enabling SMB1 support on my Windows server

None of this makes any difference. My music library is still fine via the Connect but inaccessible to the Play:1s.

Thanks,
Dave
Badge
Hi Ryan,

Are you able to give me any other suggestions via this forum? I'm in the UK so it's not straightforward for me to call support. I'm an IT professional, so reasonably tech savvy if you can suggest anything.

Over the weekend I have tried:
- A factory reset of the Play:1s
- Setting up an all new share specifically for Sonos
- Disabling and re-enabling SMB1 support on my Windows server

None of this makes any difference. My music library is still fine via the Connect but inaccessible to the Play:1s.

Thanks,
Dave

Please keep us updated Dave. I'm having the exact same issue as you.
Badge
Even more frustrating is that intermittently I still also get the 'Unable to add the music share (900)' error. This is intermittent with no apparent reason. The IRPStackSize fix (all that is suggested for this error) doesn't make any difference - I'm not sure it's valid in 2012 R2 anyway. So I walk away for a few hours, try again later and then it's working...

So, sometimes I can't access the share from sonos at all. Other times, when it is working, it's only through the Connect. The Play:1s never work.

I was telling somebody before all this started how great Sonos is because it 'just works'.... 😕
Badge
Same thing happened to me. I created an additional share and when I try to connect to it I got the IRPStackSize 900 error. The error didn’t make any sense because I had already increased the stack size to the maximum months ago. The funny thing too is this also came up in beta. I had reported it but clearly nothing was resolved.

I want to go out on a limb here and say perhaps because we are both using server 2012, which I assume most people don’t use, we are exhibiting this issue. I did notice if I were to copy some of the music to my windows 10 device and then share that within the Sonos app it works fine with the Play 1.

Is there a major difference in SMB in Windows server 2012 then in Windows 10?
Badge
So, now I've got a new variation... I define the path and credentials, the 900 error is not thrown, it appears to be working and displays the 'Adding Share/Done' screen... then a few seconds later says 'music files not available'
Badge
OK. Got the share working again with the Connect - powered off everything, all computers, network devices etc. Powered back up everything except the Play:1s. This allowed the Connect to find and index the windows share.

Then powered up the Play:1s which still have original file not found problem. So I am at least back to where I started, rather than worse off - Connect plays music library OK, Play:1s only play music library if grouped with Connect.
Badge
Try this. I’m assuming you have a Windows 10 machine somewhere? Create a new share on your Windows 10 machine. Copy a couple albums from your music folder to the new share. Connect the new share to Sonos. You’ll see that everything works fine with the Play 1s.

Why does it work on Windows 10 and not with Server 2012? All of this must be related to SMB. There has to be some difference in the way Server 2012 handles it versus Windows 10. I believe we need to focus there.
Badge
Yes, you're right. If I share from Windows 10 it works on the Play:1s.
Badge
I'm not sure what else to do. I have an open ticket with Sonos. Has anyone responded to you?
Badge
No other responses - only what you can see above.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hey Dave, if you can send a new diagnostic I'm happy to take a look. As you guys suggest, I'm pretty sure there's an SMB issue here which the PLAY:1 is running into. Usually, I'd expect this to be a device restriction somewhere in there, but it's hard to say without poking around. If you create a new share from that server in a different location, are you able to get the PLAY:1 to link to it and play?
Badge
Ryan. I had created a new share on my server and I did get the same error. I’ve submitted a support diagnostics. The number is 8032318.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks, I'm looking over the diagnostic now, but I'd like to also try having you set up a share to the IP address of the server, as opposed to using the name of the server.
Badge
I did that as well. Same error. The only thing that seems to work is putting a folder on windows 10 computer. That’s why I think there’s something wrong with the way the Play 1 interacts with SMB and Server 2012. sure you already know this but this happened after the update. Everything worked perfectly fine in the previous version of Sonos .
Badge
Is there anyway to find out from the firmware update to the Play 1 What has changed that affected the way it interacts with SMB
Badge
Ryan, thanks. My new diagnostic is 8032474.

I too have tried using the IP address. Didn't make any difference.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Ryan. I had created a new share on my server and I did get the same error. I’ve submitted a support diagnostics. The number is 8032318.
Just checking on this one, when you try to play to each room individually (selecting music from inside the library, not the queue), which rooms are unable to play the library?
Badge
I’m my case it’s the kitchen which is the Play 1. I also have both the Sonos connect and Sonos amp both of which are unaffected.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for the details. I'm digging into this with the team to see if there are some steps we can give you to work with before giving us a call. I'll let you know what I hear after they have some time to take a look at the diagnostics.